Re: [mythsoc] Diagraming Sentences

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2007
      >From: WendellWag@...
      >
      >When I was a grad student in linguistics, over thirty years ago, I and
      >another grad student were trying to come up with some ridiculous ideas for
      >articles in an (imaginary) collection of parody linguistics articles. One that
      >we thought of was a paper in which it was shown that some particular
      >grammatical phenomenon couldn't be explained by any of the then popular
      >transformational grammar paradigms but only by Reed-Kellogg diagrams. We laughed ourselves
      >silly at the idea, since Reed-Kellogg diagrams were considered bizarrely
      >old-fashioned.

      I love it! Rather like inventing a new technology that could only be explained by phlogiston.....

      On a related note (C sharp), there's a local singer/songwriter in the Minnesota SF fan community named Nate Bucklin, who has written (and sometimes performs) a song called "Let's All Diagram Sentences". Always a crowd-pleaser, as long as the crowd is mostly us nerds & geeks. ;-)

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 7 , May 11, 2007
        David,

        Has he recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear it,
        but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.

        Jane

> [...]

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 11, 2007
          >Has [Nate Bucklin] recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear it,
          >but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.

          I don't believe so. His discography at <http://www.curiousmanor.com/Music.html> does not include it on any of his currently-available tapes or CDs.

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2007
            At 12:47 PM 5/11/2007 -0500, David Emerson wrote:

            >>Has [Nate Bucklin] recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear
            it,
            >>but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.
            >
            >I don't believe so. His discography at
            ><http://www.curiousmanor.com/Music.html> does not include it on any of his
            >currently-available tapes or CDs.

            According to that page it's on a tape called "Resolutions", which has a
            "BuyNow" button under it.

            Unfortunately for me, because I've hearde some of Nate's songs and would
            like to get his recordings, the "BuyNow" buttons lead to PayPal, an
            institution I wouldn't trust with any of my money if they paid me to do it.

            - David Bratman
          • David Emerson
            Message 5 of 7 , May 11, 2007
              >>>Has [Nate Bucklin] recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear
              >it,
              >>>but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.
              >>
              >>I don't believe so. His discography at
              >><http://www.curiousmanor.com/Music.html> does not include it on any of his
              >>currently-available tapes or CDs.
              >
              >According to that page it's on a tape called "Resolutions"....

              Ah! I must've missed it. Thanks, David, I stand corrected.

              emerdavid

              PeoplePC Online
              A better way to Internet
              http://www.peoplepc.com