Re: [mythsoc] Diagraming Sentences

    Message 1 of 7 , May 10 8:03 PM
      In a message dated 5/10/2007 11:54:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      emerdavid@... writes:

      Only a little bit tongue-in-cheek. I actually like diagramming sentences.
      Not sure how diagrams would change between Old & Modern English, but based on
      your recommendation, I would probably find the article fascinating as well.

      The thing I find to be strange is that someone takes sentence diagramming
      seriously enough to write a paper about it. (Incidentally, the objects one
      draws when diagramming a sentence are technically known as Reed-Kellogg
      diagrams.) When I was a grad student in linguistics, over thirty years ago, I and
      another grad student were trying to come up with some ridiculous ideas for
      articles in an (imaginary) collection of parody linguistics articles. One that
      we thought of was a paper in which it was shown that some particular
      grammatical phenomenon couldn't be explained by any of the then popular
      transformational grammar paradigms but only by Reed-Kellogg diagrams. We laughed ourselves
      silly at the idea, since Reed-Kellogg diagrams were considered bizarrely
      old-fashioned.

    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10 8:55 PM
        >From: WendellWag@...
        >
        >When I was a grad student in linguistics, over thirty years ago, I and
        >another grad student were trying to come up with some ridiculous ideas for
        >articles in an (imaginary) collection of parody linguistics articles. One that
        >we thought of was a paper in which it was shown that some particular
        >grammatical phenomenon couldn't be explained by any of the then popular
        >transformational grammar paradigms but only by Reed-Kellogg diagrams. We laughed ourselves
        >silly at the idea, since Reed-Kellogg diagrams were considered bizarrely
        >old-fashioned.

        I love it! Rather like inventing a new technology that could only be explained by phlogiston.....

        On a related note (C sharp), there's a local singer/songwriter in the Minnesota SF fan community named Nate Bucklin, who has written (and sometimes performs) a song called "Let's All Diagram Sentences". Always a crowd-pleaser, as long as the crowd is mostly us nerds & geeks. ;-)

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • jane Bigelow
        Message 3 of 7 , May 11 9:31 AM
          David,

          Has he recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear it,
          but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.

          Jane

> [...]

        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 7 , May 11 10:47 AM
            >Has [Nate Bucklin] recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear it,
            >but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.

            I don't believe so. His discography at <http://www.curiousmanor.com/Music.html> does not include it on any of his currently-available tapes or CDs.

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 11 12:13 PM
              At 12:47 PM 5/11/2007 -0500, David Emerson wrote:

              >>Has [Nate Bucklin] recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear
              it,
              >>but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.
              >
              >I don't believe so. His discography at
              ><http://www.curiousmanor.com/Music.html> does not include it on any of his
              >currently-available tapes or CDs.

              According to that page it's on a tape called "Resolutions", which has a
              "BuyNow" button under it.

              Unfortunately for me, because I've hearde some of Nate's songs and would
              like to get his recordings, the "BuyNow" buttons lead to PayPal, an
              institution I wouldn't trust with any of my money if they paid me to do it.

              - David Bratman
            • David Emerson
              Message 6 of 7 , May 11 1:28 PM
                >>>Has [Nate Bucklin] recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear
                >it,
                >>>but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.
                >>
                >>I don't believe so. His discography at
                >><http://www.curiousmanor.com/Music.html> does not include it on any of his
                >>currently-available tapes or CDs.
                >
                >According to that page it's on a tape called "Resolutions"....

                Ah! I must've missed it. Thanks, David, I stand corrected.

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com