Re: [mythsoc] Diagraming Sentences

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2007
      >> >Diagraming Old English Sentences
      >> >Robert D. Stevick 229
      >>
      >> Oooh, THAT sounds like fun!
      >
      >I studied under Bob Stevick as an undergrad. He's now retired, but I
      >bump into him occasionally at the bookstore. He's got an incredibly
      >dry wit and voluminous knowledge of Old English (and English in
      >general). I'm not sure if you're comment was meant to be
      >tongue-in-cheek or not, but I definitely would find such an article by
      >Bob fascinating.

      Only a little bit tongue-in-cheek. I actually like diagramming sentences. Not sure how diagrams would change between Old & Modern English, but based on your recommendation, I would probably find the article fascinating as well.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2007
        In a message dated 5/10/2007 11:54:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        emerdavid@... writes:

        Only a little bit tongue-in-cheek. I actually like diagramming sentences.
        Not sure how diagrams would change between Old & Modern English, but based on
        your recommendation, I would probably find the article fascinating as well.

        The thing I find to be strange is that someone takes sentence diagramming
        seriously enough to write a paper about it. (Incidentally, the objects one
        draws when diagramming a sentence are technically known as Reed-Kellogg
        diagrams.) When I was a grad student in linguistics, over thirty years ago, I and
        another grad student were trying to come up with some ridiculous ideas for
        articles in an (imaginary) collection of parody linguistics articles. One that
        we thought of was a paper in which it was shown that some particular
        grammatical phenomenon couldn't be explained by any of the then popular
        transformational grammar paradigms but only by Reed-Kellogg diagrams. We laughed ourselves
        silly at the idea, since Reed-Kellogg diagrams were considered bizarrely
        old-fashioned.

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2007
          >When I was a grad student in linguistics, over thirty years ago, I and
          >another grad student were trying to come up with some ridiculous ideas for
          >articles in an (imaginary) collection of parody linguistics articles. One that
          >we thought of was a paper in which it was shown that some particular
          >grammatical phenomenon couldn't be explained by any of the then popular
          >transformational grammar paradigms but only by Reed-Kellogg diagrams. We laughed ourselves
          >silly at the idea, since Reed-Kellogg diagrams were considered bizarrely
          >old-fashioned.

          I love it! Rather like inventing a new technology that could only be explained by phlogiston.....

          On a related note (C sharp), there's a local singer/songwriter in the Minnesota SF fan community named Nate Bucklin, who has written (and sometimes performs) a song called "Let's All Diagram Sentences". Always a crowd-pleaser, as long as the crowd is mostly us nerds & geeks. ;-)

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • jane Bigelow
          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2007
            David,

            Has he recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear it,
            but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.

            Jane

> [...]

          • David Emerson
            Message 5 of 7 , May 11, 2007
              >Has [Nate Bucklin] recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear it,
              >but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.

              I don't believe so. His discography at <http://www.curiousmanor.com/Music.html> does not include it on any of his currently-available tapes or CDs.

              emerdavid

              PeoplePC Online
              A better way to Internet
              http://www.peoplepc.com
              Message 6 of 7 , May 11, 2007
                At 12:47 PM 5/11/2007 -0500, David Emerson wrote:

                >>Has [Nate Bucklin] recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear
                it,
                >>but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.
                >
                >I don't believe so. His discography at
                ><http://www.curiousmanor.com/Music.html> does not include it on any of his
                >currently-available tapes or CDs.

                According to that page it's on a tape called "Resolutions", which has a
                "BuyNow" button under it.

                Unfortunately for me, because I've hearde some of Nate's songs and would
                like to get his recordings, the "BuyNow" buttons lead to PayPal, an
                institution I wouldn't trust with any of my money if they paid me to do it.

                - David Bratman
              • David Emerson
                Message 7 of 7 , May 11, 2007
                  >>>Has [Nate Bucklin] recorded Let's All Diagram Sentences? I'd like to hear
                  >it,
                  >>>but won't be in Minnesota anytime in the forseeable future.
                  >>
                  >>I don't believe so. His discography at
                  >><http://www.curiousmanor.com/Music.html> does not include it on any of his
                  >>currently-available tapes or CDs.
                  >
                  >According to that page it's on a tape called "Resolutions"....

                  Ah! I must've missed it. Thanks, David, I stand corrected.

                  emerdavid

                  PeoplePC Online
                  A better way to Internet
                  http://www.peoplepc.com