Not inTolkien/ Not in Lewis?

  • llattan@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2007
      Has there been as much criticism of the first Narnia film and for discrepancies and inventions
      as there has been concerning the Jackson trilogy? I believe the centaur general ( Oreus) was an addition,
      and there was no gamboling play at the stone table on Aslan's return. Some dialogue was eliminated or rewritten.
      I don't recall any other glaring example myself, but perhaps others have noted some. In fact, I enjoyed the film .

      A curious newbie...

      - Lucille Lattanzi

      llattan@...

    • Cristina A. Montes
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "llattan@..." <llattan@...> wrote:

        > Has there been as much criticism of the first Narnia film and for
        discrepancies and inventions
        > as there has been concerning the Jackson trilogy? I believe the
        centaur general ( Oreus) was an addition,
        > and there was no gamboling play at the stone table on Aslan's
        return. Some dialogue was eliminated or rewritten.
        > I don't recall any other glaring example myself, but perhaps
        others have noted some. In fact, I enjoyed the film .

        > A curious newbie...
        >
        > - Lucille Lattanzi

        There was a review that complained about "the missing narrator" in
        the Narnia film, although personally, I don't know how adding the
        narrator to the film would have made it better. A friend of mine, a
        member of the Philippine Order of Narnians, also noted that she
        didn't expect a large-scale battle scene. In a blog, someone
        complained that the dialogue between Susan, PEter, and PRof.
        PEvensie was truncated and the point about logic was not expounded
        on too much.

        One deviation I noticed was that in the movie, the four Pevensies
        hid inside the wardrobe because Edmund accidentally broke the window
        of the Professor's mansion. In the book, it was because of some
        visitors.

        Also, in the part where Susan and Lucy ride Aslan after he
        resurrected, in the book, if I remember right, Aslan was flying. In
        the movie, he was just running on the plain.

        The BBC TV series based on "The Chronicles of Narnia" was more
        faithful in terms of the two minor quibbles I just mentioned, but my
        sister said she found the adaptation was too literal (and not in the
        sense of PJ literally representing Sauron as an eyeball.)
      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2007
          >> Has there been as much criticism of the first Narnia film and for
          >discrepancies and inventions
          >> as there has been concerning the Jackson trilogy? I believe the
          >centaur general ( Oreus) was an addition,
          >> and there was no gamboling play at the stone table on Aslan's
          >return. Some dialogue was eliminated or rewritten.
          >> I don't recall any other glaring example myself, but perhaps
          >others have noted some.

          Most glaring is probably the crossing-the-melting-ice scene, a totally whole-cloth invention.

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Walkermonk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2007
            In a message dated 5/9/2007 7:59:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
            camontes_dragon2001@... writes:

            Also, in the part where Susan and Lucy ride Aslan after he
            resurrected, in the book, if I remember right, Aslan was flying. In
            the movie, he was just running on the plain.

            -----

            I think this is incorrect. I'm at work and can't check right now, but I
            remember no flying. Just running. So in that respect the movie is right.

            Grace Monk

          • Elizabeth Hardy

              Message 6 of 6 , May 10, 2007
                Ok, thanks. I stand corrected.