"The horror! The horror!"

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2007
      And no, David, that's not an editorial comment aimed at the films � although I daresay many would be inclined to take it that way. ;)

      > orcs pursuing the Fellowship down the Anduin, which eliminates
      > the book's sense of vague menace, punctuated once by violence
      > (has anyone ever compared this section to other river journeys,
      > like that in Heart of Darkness?).

      Merlin, that's on my to-do list, actually. I've long suspected that a fruitful comparison might be made between them. Jane Chance, IIRC, mentions Heart of Darkness somewhere, but only once, and only in passing. AFAIK, nobody has done any sort of extended study, so I had thought to attempt one myself and see what turns up from it. I haven't gotten around to it yet, though. Too many other irons in the fire. But if anyone wants to discuss it (or knows of a study I don't), by all means ...

      Jason