RE: [mythsoc] Sauron Redivivus

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7 9:31 AM
      And of course we also have the wonderful hooded Sauron on the cover of the Ace Return of the King. That one also has some dandy winged helmets as I recall.

      **************************************
      David D. Oberhelman
      Associate Professor
      Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      Oklahoma State University Library
      Stillwater, OK 74078
      [SUMMER 2007 Phone: (405) 269-8657]
      Fax: (405) 744-7579
      Email: d.oberhelman@...

      We also have Tolkien's own sketch for the cover of The Return of the King, in which he seems to depict Sauron in humanoid form. This may or may not be purely artistic or metaphorical, as with most of the examples of synechdoche (those previously discussed, and others), but as Hammond and Scull write, "the Shadow of Mordor [is] given gigantic human-like form. The long arm of Sauron reaches out across red and black mountains, its clawed hand like the mouth of a hungry beast, sharp with teeth" (Artist and Illustrator, p. 184). See the sketch in plate 181. Sauron also appears to be wearing a crown. Intersting.

      Also remember the footnote in Letter #131: "It is only in the time between The Hobbit and its sequel that it is discovered that the Necromancer is Sauron Redivivus, growing swiftly to visible shape and power again." (Letters, p. 158) "Visible shape" is the key point, obviously.

      Jason Fisher

    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8 1:02 AM
        --- "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:

        > And of course we also have the wonderful hooded
        > Sauron on the cover of the Ace Return of the King.
        *********
        Re those ACE Covers:

        Anyone want copies? I'll scan in mine & send to
        anyone who wants to see Jack Gaughan's work.

        Graphic--but effective-- in 1965!!!

        My brother brought 'em around in July '65, & PESTERED
        me MERCILESSLY to read the puppies for a YEAR! Caved
        in around Aug. '66--after seeing a classmates ceramic
        art based on Tolkien at a local arts camp in the mtns.

        However.....I was TRULY sucked in when I happened to
        be plowing thru "Fellowship" the day before ascending
        Mt. Whitney with my Scout Troop. I WAS in the Misty
        Mtns!

        Again, Bonnie