Re: [mythsoc] Sauron Redivivus

    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2007
      At 08:35 AM 5/7/2007 -0700, Jason Fisher wrote:

      >We also have Tolkien's own sketch for the cover of The Return of the King,
      >in which he seems to depict Sauron in humanoid form. This may or may not be
      >purely artistic or metaphorical, as with most of the examples of synechdoche
      >(those previously discussed, and others)

      Yes. If one says, "His arm has grown long," as Gimli and Gandalf do upon
      Caradhras, that doesn't mean he necessarily physically has an arm - this is
      his metaphorical arm that's growing, obviously, not his physical one - let
      alone that he is a disembodied arm flapping around. But by the same token,
      referring to his eye doesn't mean that he's just an eye.

      >Sauron also appears to be wearing a crown. Intersting.

      The Lord of the Nazgul wears one too.

      - David Bratman
    • Oberhelman, D
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2007
        And of course we also have the wonderful hooded Sauron on the cover of the Ace Return of the King. That one also has some dandy winged helmets as I recall.

        **************************************
        David D. Oberhelman
        Associate Professor
        Humanities-Social Sciences Division
        Oklahoma State University Library
        Stillwater, OK 74078
        [SUMMER 2007 Phone: (405) 269-8657]
        Fax: (405) 744-7579
        Email: d.oberhelman@...

        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2007
          --- "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:

          > And of course we also have the wonderful hooded
          > Sauron on the cover of the Ace Return of the King.
          *********
          Re those ACE Covers:

          Anyone want copies? I'll scan in mine & send to
          anyone who wants to see Jack Gaughan's work.

          Graphic--but effective-- in 1965!!!

          My brother brought 'em around in July '65, & PESTERED
          me MERCILESSLY to read the puppies for a YEAR! Caved
          in around Aug. '66--after seeing a classmates ceramic
          art based on Tolkien at a local arts camp in the mtns.

          However.....I was TRULY sucked in when I happened to
          be plowing thru "Fellowship" the day before ascending
          Mt. Whitney with my Scout Troop. I WAS in the Misty
          Mtns!

          Again, Bonnie