Re: it's not in Tolkien

  • Cristina A. Montes
    Message 1 of 84 , May 7, 2007
      > The most common seems to be the identification of Aragorn as a reluctant
      > hero. Jackson's is; Tolkien's isn't. I was particularly amused by the
      > National Geographic "Behind the Movie" documentary narrated by John
      > Rhys-Davies, who intoned "Aragorn's reluctance is surprising," as
      indeed it
      > is to anyone who's read the book. Of course the documentary mixes
      the book
      > and films indiscriminately and isn't scholarship at all, but that
      was too
      > golden a moment of irony to miss.

      I wondered about this, too. The only hint of reluctance I detected in
      the books were his uneasiness before entering the paths of the dead,
      but I don't know how much of this could actually be the fear of
      becoming a king. The books have a number of instances where ARagorn
      explicitly revealed or acknowledged his identity.
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 84 of 84 , May 25, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson
        <emerdavid@...> wrote:

        > >There was once a science-fiction story in
        which a man from our present day
        > >wakes up in the distant future and asks for a
        hamburger. The futurians
        > >reply, "A hamburger is a citizen of the
        German city of Hamburg. Were you
        > >cannibals in those days?"
        >
        > Does this have something to do with John F.
        Kennedy being a jelly doughnut?

        > emerdavid

        LOL!