RE: [mythsoc] Ring around the eyeball. (HeeHee)

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 84 , May 7, 2007
      I never saw Sauron as being an "EYE", in the way
      CBS wasn't an "Eye". That was just his LOGO.

      (I still have a "gate pass" from when I worked for CBS
      in '70s as a receptionist. I amended it to be a pass
      to Mordor.)

      S. must've had some more fully amorphous
      form in the Third Age, I'd thought. Even if he wasn't
      much more than a "brain" a-la-Hideous Strength.

      At one point I sorta pictured him as a mutated T-Rex.
      "Sauron"-Saurian?

      Have Fun with it.

      Bonnie (Artist--not Academic, I'm afraid)
      ****************

      --- "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:

      > Yes, apparently the film originally had a sequence
      > in which a humanoid Sauron, which some dubbed
      > "Annatar" (even though that fair form was destroyed,
      > but details, details :)), appeared to confront
      > Aragorn before the Morannon. This is a shot from
      > the unused footage:
      >
      > http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/annatar.jpg
      >
      > Jackson changed his mind, though, and replaced the
      > Dark Lord with a very big troll to smush out hero
      > with his hoof or foot, whatever.
      >
      > As for how Jackson's floaty Eye could wear the Ring,
      > maybe that's one of those things like how the
      > disembodied Sauron could convey the Ring to
      > Middle-earth after the Numenorean cataclysm. The
      > mind need not "boggle" such things, as Tolkien would
      > say! Jackson would not have been able to come up
      > with such a line.
      >
      > Or maybe the Ring could fit into a giant contact
      > lens.
      >
      > David Oberhelman
      >
      > **************************************
      > David D. Oberhelman
      > Associate Professor
      > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      > Oklahoma State University Library
      > Stillwater, OK 74078
      > [SUMMER 2007 Phone: (405) 269-8657]
      > Fax: (405) 744-7579
      > Email: d.oberhelman@...

      > removed]

    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 84 of 84 , May 25, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson
        <emerdavid@...> wrote:

        > >There was once a science-fiction story in
        which a man from our present day
        > >wakes up in the distant future and asks for a
        hamburger. The futurians
        > >reply, "A hamburger is a citizen of the
        German city of Hamburg. Were you
        > >cannibals in those days?"
        >
        > Does this have something to do with John F.
        Kennedy being a jelly doughnut?

        > emerdavid

        LOL!