"You begin to see with a keen eye."

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 84 , May 6, 2007
      >>---David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      >>In the new issue of _Mythlore_... is an article by Allison Harl
      contrasting the use of the visual gaze of evil watchers in Tolkien and
      Jackson... But on p. 63, when she's still discussing the book, she
      writes, "In his disembodied state, Sauron is reduced to a single
      large, unblinking eye".

      It's interesting that another article in the same issue is at pains to
      avoid this mistake. In "The Ogre Blinded and _The Lord of the
      Rings_" , Daniel Peretti notes that Sauron, who is never described
      clearly, is sometimes called The Eye, but Peretti emphasizes that
      Sauron is not just an eye:

      "Yet we know that Sauron is, at least, humanoid. We have the words of
      Gollum..." (p. 138).

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 84 of 84 , May 25, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson
        <emerdavid@...> wrote:

        > >There was once a science-fiction story in
        which a man from our present day
        > >wakes up in the distant future and asks for a
        hamburger. The futurians
        > >reply, "A hamburger is a citizen of the
        German city of Hamburg. Were you
        > >cannibals in those days?"
        >
        > Does this have something to do with John F.
        Kennedy being a jelly doughnut?

        > emerdavid

        LOL!