RE: [mythsoc] Ring around the eyeball.

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 84 , May 6, 2007
      Yes, apparently the film originally had a sequence in which a humanoid Sauron, which some dubbed "Annatar" (even though that fair form was destroyed, but details, details :)), appeared to confront Aragorn before the Morannon. This is a shot from the unused footage:

      http://www.uib.no/people/hnohf/annatar.jpg

      Jackson changed his mind, though, and replaced the Dark Lord with a very big troll to smush out hero with his hoof or foot, whatever.

      As for how Jackson's floaty Eye could wear the Ring, maybe that's one of those things like how the disembodied Sauron could convey the Ring to Middle-earth after the Numenorean cataclysm. The mind need not "boggle" such things, as Tolkien would say! Jackson would not have been able to come up with such a line.

      Or maybe the Ring could fit into a giant contact lens.

      David Oberhelman

      **************************************
      David D. Oberhelman
      Associate Professor
      Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      Oklahoma State University Library
      Stillwater, OK 74078
      [SUMMER 2007 Phone: (405) 269-8657]
      Fax: (405) 744-7579
      Email: d.oberhelman@...

    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 84 of 84 , May 25, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson
        <emerdavid@...> wrote:

        > >There was once a science-fiction story in
        which a man from our present day
        > >wakes up in the distant future and asks for a
        hamburger. The futurians
        > >reply, "A hamburger is a citizen of the
        German city of Hamburg. Were you
        > >cannibals in those days?"
        >
        > Does this have something to do with John F.
        Kennedy being a jelly doughnut?

        > emerdavid

        LOL!