Ring around the eyeball.

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 84 , May 5, 2007
      >>---David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      >>If Sauron The Disembodied Eyeball ever got the Ring back, how would
      he wear it?

      Someone who's seen the movies more than once could explain this better
      than me: I think somewhere early in the films, a character (Saruman?)
      says that Sauron cannot *yet* take a physical form (beyond a floating
      eye, I guess) though his power is growing to a point where that will
      be possible. Jackson seems to have had something like that in mind
      when he conceived of Sauron appearing in person to fight Aragorn at
      the Black Gate. I believe that encounter was actually filmed, but
      that Sauron was digitally replaced by a troll in the completed movie.

      Another film-derived error that I've seen in a couple of essays
      nominally on Tolkien not Jackson (one online, one printed) is that
      Éomer is claimed to have been banished (rather than imprisoned) by
      Théoden at Wormtongue's behest.

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 84 of 84 , May 25, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson
        <emerdavid@...> wrote:

        > >There was once a science-fiction story in
        which a man from our present day
        > >wakes up in the distant future and asks for a
        hamburger. The futurians
        > >reply, "A hamburger is a citizen of the
        German city of Hamburg. Were you
        > >cannibals in those days?"
        >
        > Does this have something to do with John F.
        Kennedy being a jelly doughnut?

        > emerdavid

        LOL!