Re: [mythsoc] it's not in Tolkien

    Message 1 of 84 , May 5, 2007
      I intended to add that the real problem with the article I cited is not so
      much that the author mistook Sauron's Eye for his whole being - better
      scholars have made dumber errors than that without Jackson's help - but
      that the whole image comes straight from Jackson without the author
      apparently realizing it.

      The quote, again, is, "In his DISEMBODIED state, Sauron is REDUCED to a
      single, large, unblinking eye," and I've capitalized the words that
      emphasize the diminishment of this view of the character, the physical
      helplessness of Jackson's Sauron, something that would surely not be the
      first thing that occurs to someone who thinks of the Eye of Sauron only in
      terms of the the very active, aggressive Eye that the characters feel
      searching for them - something that Jackson tends to depict just in the
      form of sudden flash cuts to something that looks less like an eye than
      like a body part not usually mentioned in polite company.

      Also note the word "large". The size of the Eye is not really at issue in
      Tolkien; only when you see Jackson does the immensity, and the equally
      immense absurdity, of it really strike.

      If Sauron The Disembodied Eyeball ever got the Ring back, how would he wear it?

      - David Bratman
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 84 of 84 , May 25, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, David Emerson
        <emerdavid@...> wrote:

        > >There was once a science-fiction story in
        which a man from our present day
        > >wakes up in the distant future and asks for a
        hamburger. The futurians
        > >reply, "A hamburger is a citizen of the
        German city of Hamburg. Were you
        > >cannibals in those days?"
        >
        > Does this have something to do with John F.
        Kennedy being a jelly doughnut?

        > emerdavid

        LOL!