Re: [mythsoc] Prospero's children & awards

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2000
      Someone very kindly arranged for an advance copy to be sent to my home, and I'd
      intended to read it as it was on the preliminarly Children's MFA list.
      Unfortunately, I didn't get to it, yet. One of the other judges said it was to
      be published in the U.S. in 2000, so that it would be eligible for next year's
      MFA, but I'm especially curious as to whether it really belongs on the Children's
      list (if it belongs on either), as it appeared from the packaging to be more of
      an adult book.

      The book I'm really wondering about is Robin McKinley's new Sleeping Beauty
      book--anybody looked at that yet? Not that I have time for any other books for
      another week or so (right now I have two of the MSA finalists overdue as
      interlibrary loans--though I returned a third today).

      Matthew Winslow wrote:

      > Has anyone read Prospero's Children by Jan Siegel? I started it, got to about
      > page 20 or so, and found a bad taste in my mouth. For those who have read it,
      > is it worth continuing?
      >
      > Basically, I found her writing style a bit too pretentious. It was as if I was
      > reading an author who was purposefully trying to be 'artsy' and showing it
      > off. That is, the prose was /waaaay/ too purple, so much so that I couldn't
      > stick around until enough plot developed to keep me there.
      >
      > --
      > Matthew Winslow mwinslow@... http://x-real.firinn.org/
      > "Communication has changed so rapidly in the past 20 years, it's almost
      > impossible to predict what might occur even in the next decade. E-mail
      > which now sends data hurtling across vast distances at the speed of light,
      > has replaced primitive forms of communication such as smoke signals, which
      > sent data hurtling across vast distances at the speed of light."
      > --Steve Martin
      > Currently reading: Empire of Unreason by Gregory Keyes

      > Find long lost high school friends:

      David Lenander, Library Manager I

      University of Minnesota Bio-Medical Library Access Services

      Diehl Hall / 505 Essex SE, / Mpls., MN 55455

      Phone: work: (612)626-3375 fax: (612)626-2454 home: (651)292-8887

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2000
        >From: David Lenander <d-lena@...>

        >Someone very kindly arranged for an advance copy to be sent to my home, and I'd
        >intended to read it as it was on the preliminarly Children's MFA list.
        >Unfortunately, I didn't get to it, yet. One of the other judges said it was to
        >be published in the U.S. in 2000, so that it would be eligible for next year's
        >MFA, but I'm especially curious as to whether it really belongs on the Children's
        >list (if it belongs on either), as it appeared from the packaging to be more of
        >an adult book.

        I looked at _Prospero's Children_ in the bookstore and it is book one of a
        trilogy, which generally makes it ineligible.

        Berni