Re: Digest Number 48

  • Donander Evre
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 1999
      Well,t he list on the Ansible shortlist was:

      Mythopoeic Awards shortlist.... ADULT LITERATURE Charles de Lint,
      Someplace to be Flying; Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess, Stardust;
      R.E.Klein, The History of Our World Beyond the Wave; Patricia
      A.McKillip, Song for the Basilisk; James Stoddard, The High House. �
      CHILDREN'S Kara Dalkey, Heavenward Path; Diana Wynne Jones, The Dark
      Lord of Derkholm; Gail Carson Levine, Ella Enchanted; Gerald Morris,
      The Squire's Tale; J.K.Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's
      Stone. � SCHOLARSHIP (INKLINGS) Lionel Adey, C.S.Lewis: Writer, Dreamer
      & Mentor; Rolland Hein, Christian Mythmakers; Walter Hooper, C.S.Lewis:
      A Companion & Guide; J.R.R.Tolkien (ed. Wayne G.Hammond & Christina
      Scull), Roverandom. � SCHOLARSHIP (OTHER) Susan Cooper, Dreams and
      Wishes: Essays on Writing for Children; Michael Riley, Oz and Beyond:
      The Fantasy World of L. Frank Baum; Marina Warner, No Go the Bogeyman:
      Scaring, Lulling, and Making Mock; Donna R.White, A Century of Welsh
      Myth in Children's Literature. [DB]

      Of those books, I think that Stardust was a work of genius (and C.S.
      Lewis would have loved it). The DeLint was pretty much standard Delint,
      and I enjoyed the McKillip but didn't think it was anything special.

      I liked the Diana Wynne Jones but didn't feel it was her best, but
      still enjoyed it more than the Harry potter book. Probably Ella
      Enchanted was the best of them.

      haven't read any of the Non-fiction.

      nin