Mythcon travel issues

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2007
      Hi Mythcon Attendees:

      For many it will be useful to approach the Bay
      area (via auto) from the routes that enter Berkeley
      from the I-5. That will avoid the mess. (Looked like
      melted TAFFY in the news photos!!)

      BART is REALLY valuable. I assume it connects with
      airport, for those who aren't renting a vehicle.
      (Thanks, David!)

      People driving from Airport, cut East. Take one of the
      routes that skirt the Eastern edge of East Bay
      communities.

      If anyone needs tips, I'm a map student/maven. I might
      be able to help you all.

      Bonnie
      ************

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2007
        At 07:30 PM 4/30/2007 -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:

        >At the 2001 Mythcon, I flew into San Francisco Airport because it was
        >noticeably cheaper to fly to there (from BWI), for some random reason,
        >rather than
        >Oakland, and it wasn't necessary to take any ground transportation until
        >getting to Berkeley. I just took BART to the Berkeley station and a taxi to
        >the
        >campus. So it's not necessary to go over any bridges at all.

        Yes, I should have mentioned that public transit is not affected by this at
        all, except insofar as it may be more crowded.

        At 02:51 AM 5/1/2007 -0700, Bonnie Callahan wrote:

        >For many it will be useful to approach the Bay
        >area (via auto) from the routes that enter Berkeley
        >from the I-5. That will avoid the mess.

        Whether coming from I-5 avoids the mess depends on which way you go from
        I-5. If you're coming from the south, either from San Jose, or from I-5
        via 580, the best routes to Clark Kerr don't go through the maze anyway.

        >BART is REALLY valuable. I assume it connects with
        >airport, for those who aren't renting a vehicle.

        There will be more detail about this in PR2, but BART goes right into the
        San Francisco Airport and connects via a shuttle bus to the Oakland
        Airport. However, at the other end as Wendell notes you have to catch a
        cab or have someone pick you up. It's well over a mile from the BART
        station to Clark Kerr, and not something you'd walk with luggage.

        >People driving from Airport, cut East. Take one of the
        >routes that skirt the Eastern edge of East Bay
        >communities.

        If you're driving from the Oakland Airport, take the freeways direct: 880
        to 980 in downtown Oakland, continue on to 24, and get off at the Claremont
        exit, as I wrote before. That's the best route to Clark Kerr, and doesn't
        pass through the maze. DO NOT try to head east to the hill routes (580 or
        13) directly from the airport. Really. Long before you get there you'll
        get slogged down in a lot of slow, heavy-trafficked surface streets in a
        very bad neighborhood.

        David Bratman
      • lynnmaudlin
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2007
          Do you remember the first Wheaton Mythcon and we essentially demanded
          the committee arrange to pick up the folks flying in?! wow, times have
          changed (and we've grown up and entered the Real World, I dare say...
          but at Mythcon we return to Middle-earth).

          My sympathy to the folks whose regular driving lives will be
          negatively impacted by this accident-- (AMAZING nobody died and, to my
          knowledge, only the tanker driver was injured - wow).

          -- Lynn --

          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2007
            "I =TOLD= you that the East Road faded out long before it got to the River
            Running, but did you listen to me? No, you had to barge straight through,
            and now here we are, stuck in Mirkwood without even any black squirrels to
            eat."

            At 09:02 PM 5/2/2007 +0000, lynnmaudlin wrote:

            >Do you remember the first Wheaton Mythcon and we essentially demanded
            >the committee arrange to pick up the folks flying in?! wow, times have
            >changed (and we've grown up and entered the Real World, I dare say...
            >but at Mythcon we return to Middle-earth).

            Well, we can't pick up everybody, and even at Wheaton we didn't try. We
            will pick up the Guests of Honor, though. That's already been arranged.

            >My sympathy to the folks whose regular driving lives will be
            >negatively impacted by this accident-- (AMAZING nobody died and, to my
            >knowledge, only the tanker driver was injured - wow).

            Thank you. Even aside from the lack of lives loss, this seems to be
            causing less impact to traffic than the collapse of the Cypress structure
            in the '89 quake did. Let alone that this may well be fixed within a few
            months, and that was out for five years or more.

            DB