The Oakland freeway and Mythcon

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2007
      By this time you may have heard about a gas tanker explosion in the middle
      of a major freeway interchange in Oakland on Sunday morning. And you may
      be wondering how this will affect travel to and from Mythcon.

      There is some hope that the freeway will be repaired before Mythcon.

      But nobody's guaranteeing anything, so in case it isn't fixed by then:

      The best road to Mythcon from the Oakland airport* does not go through this
      interchange, though traffic may be heavier than normal especially on the
      return to the airport.

      The best road to Mythcon from San Francisco was along the overpass that
      collapsed, but there's an easy alternative**, though again traffic may be
      heavier than normal.

      - David Bratman
      Mythcon XXXVIII chair

      *880 to 980 to 24 to Claremont Avenue.

      **80 E to Ashby.
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2007
        Thanks, David. You anticipated the question many of us had after
        yesterday's news.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2007
          At the 2001 Mythcon, I flew into San Francisco Airport because it was
          noticeably cheaper to fly to there (from BWI), for some random reason, rather than
          Oakland, and it wasn't necessary to take any ground transportation until
          getting to Berkeley. I just took BART to the Berkeley station and a taxi to the
          campus. So it's not necessary to go over any bridges at all.

        • Bonnie Callahan
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2007
            Hi Mythcon Attendees:

            For many it will be useful to approach the Bay
            area (via auto) from the routes that enter Berkeley
            from the I-5. That will avoid the mess. (Looked like
            melted TAFFY in the news photos!!)

            BART is REALLY valuable. I assume it connects with
            airport, for those who aren't renting a vehicle.
            (Thanks, David!)

            People driving from Airport, cut East. Take one of the
            routes that skirt the Eastern edge of East Bay
            communities.

            If anyone needs tips, I'm a map student/maven. I might
            be able to help you all.

            Bonnie
            ************

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2007
              At 07:30 PM 4/30/2007 -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:

              >At the 2001 Mythcon, I flew into San Francisco Airport because it was
              >noticeably cheaper to fly to there (from BWI), for some random reason,
              >rather than
              >Oakland, and it wasn't necessary to take any ground transportation until
              >getting to Berkeley. I just took BART to the Berkeley station and a taxi to
              >the
              >campus. So it's not necessary to go over any bridges at all.

              Yes, I should have mentioned that public transit is not affected by this at
              all, except insofar as it may be more crowded.

              At 02:51 AM 5/1/2007 -0700, Bonnie Callahan wrote:

              >For many it will be useful to approach the Bay
              >area (via auto) from the routes that enter Berkeley
              >from the I-5. That will avoid the mess.

              Whether coming from I-5 avoids the mess depends on which way you go from
              I-5. If you're coming from the south, either from San Jose, or from I-5
              via 580, the best routes to Clark Kerr don't go through the maze anyway.

              >BART is REALLY valuable. I assume it connects with
              >airport, for those who aren't renting a vehicle.

              There will be more detail about this in PR2, but BART goes right into the
              San Francisco Airport and connects via a shuttle bus to the Oakland
              Airport. However, at the other end as Wendell notes you have to catch a
              cab or have someone pick you up. It's well over a mile from the BART
              station to Clark Kerr, and not something you'd walk with luggage.

              >People driving from Airport, cut East. Take one of the
              >routes that skirt the Eastern edge of East Bay
              >communities.

              If you're driving from the Oakland Airport, take the freeways direct: 880
              to 980 in downtown Oakland, continue on to 24, and get off at the Claremont
              exit, as I wrote before. That's the best route to Clark Kerr, and doesn't
              pass through the maze. DO NOT try to head east to the hill routes (580 or
              13) directly from the airport. Really. Long before you get there you'll
              get slogged down in a lot of slow, heavy-trafficked surface streets in a
              very bad neighborhood.

              David Bratman
            • lynnmaudlin
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2007
                Do you remember the first Wheaton Mythcon and we essentially demanded
                the committee arrange to pick up the folks flying in?! wow, times have
                changed (and we've grown up and entered the Real World, I dare say...
                but at Mythcon we return to Middle-earth).

                My sympathy to the folks whose regular driving lives will be
                negatively impacted by this accident-- (AMAZING nobody died and, to my
                knowledge, only the tanker driver was injured - wow).

                -- Lynn --

                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2007
                  "I =TOLD= you that the East Road faded out long before it got to the River
                  Running, but did you listen to me? No, you had to barge straight through,
                  and now here we are, stuck in Mirkwood without even any black squirrels to
                  eat."

                  At 09:02 PM 5/2/2007 +0000, lynnmaudlin wrote:

                  >Do you remember the first Wheaton Mythcon and we essentially demanded
                  >the committee arrange to pick up the folks flying in?! wow, times have
                  >changed (and we've grown up and entered the Real World, I dare say...
                  >but at Mythcon we return to Middle-earth).

                  Well, we can't pick up everybody, and even at Wheaton we didn't try. We
                  will pick up the Guests of Honor, though. That's already been arranged.

                  >My sympathy to the folks whose regular driving lives will be
                  >negatively impacted by this accident-- (AMAZING nobody died and, to my
                  >knowledge, only the tanker driver was injured - wow).

                  Thank you. Even aside from the lack of lives loss, this seems to be
                  causing less impact to traffic than the collapse of the Cypress structure
                  in the '89 quake did. Let alone that this may well be fixed within a few
                  months, and that was out for five years or more.

                  DB