Mythopoeic Discussion Group May 11th, 2007

  • Anthony and Jessica
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2007
      With many thanks to Northeast Tolkien Society member Amy Hitotsubashi
      the Northeast Tolkien Society will commence its monthly Mythopoeic
      Discussion Group moots at St. Paul's Library, Friday May 11th, 2007,
      5pm to 9pm. We will be discussing The Children of Hurin, and Tolkien
      and Shakespeare, the work of SK Thoth (forthcoming publications and
      recent CD), for those who have read them, if you have not you are
      welcome to discuss this with us, we encourage you to do so but is not
      a requirement. If the majority wishes we can move to any other
      discussion of the work of the Inklings.

      We also encourage you to bring anything Tolkien and Inklings, or a
      connected fiction, fantasy, piece of history to the group. We may not
      necessarily get to everything this particular night but can place it
      on the agenda for the next moot.

      But it will not be the only topic, we would like to encourage aspiring
      writers to openly read and discuss your work with the group, allowing
      it open for ideas, and insight from one another.
      Also according to Amy for those who wish to meet before and/or after
      the moot:
      "There is a good pizza place around the corner on Court St, a more
      up-scale Italian place on the corner, and numerous eateries 2+ blocks
      away on Smith and on Court."

      Directions to and from St. Pauls within NYC, from Queens, Manhattan
      and Brooklyn see this MTA Page for information on taking the F line to
      Carroll Gardens Brooklyn
      http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/fline.htm

      For further information, read this: including Amy's enchanting letter
      detailing the Library
      The library of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Carroll Gardens,
      Brooklyn is a place in which the Inklings would have felt at home.
      Located at 119 Carroll Street, between Court and Clinton (one block
      from the F train's Carroll Street Station -- President Street exit),
      one enters from the side street, going down a path until one sees on
      the right a fat, arched red door with a tiny, whimsical window in it.
      Enter and go up to the third floor, but look into the prayer chapel on
      the second floor when you pass it -- this room is medieval.
      The library on the third floor has more of a Tudor mood -- dark,
      exposed beams on a high white ceiling, leaded glass-paned windows, a
      cavernous fireplace, and a heavy, long table, big enough to seat about
      20 (plenty more heavy, comfortable chairs if we want to sit in a circle).
      This is a lovely space. In the summer, there is cross ventilation and
      a view of leafy trees. The church lets it out to community groups free
      of charge (it might be nice to give a token gift). We have served
      tea/coffee/soft drinks there and bringing in food is fine -- . I have
      no pictures, but the directions by car are at
      www.dioceselongisland.org/allparish/B28StPaulsCarrollSt.htm and other
      info at www.stpaulscarrollst.org/

      Highly recommended by

      Amy Hitotsubashi
    • lynnmaudlin
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 1:55 PM
        wow! what a lot you're going to discuss!

        It sounds like a FABULOUS space but I wonder if the Inklings would
        really feel "at home" anyplace that didn't include a pint and a pipe?

        hmmm, just a thought...
        have a GREAT time!
        -- Lynn --

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony and Jessica"
        <herenistarion@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > the right a fat, arched red door with a tiny, whimsical window in it.
        > Enter and go up to the third floor, but look into the prayer chapel on
        > the second floor when you pass it -- this room is medieval.
        > The library on the third floor has more of a Tudor mood -- dark,
        > exposed beams on a high white ceiling, leaded glass-paned windows, a
        > cavernous fireplace, and a heavy, long table, big enough to seat about
        > 20 (plenty more heavy, comfortable chairs if we want to sit in a
        circle).
        > This is a lovely space. In the summer, there is cross ventilation and
        > a view of leafy trees. The church lets it out to community groups free
        > of charge (it might be nice to give a token gift). We have served
        > tea/coffee/soft drinks there and bringing in food is fine -- . I have
        > no pictures, but the directions by car are at

      • Anthony and Jessica
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9 8:37 AM
          Greetings friends,
          We apologize for this late note on the Mythopoeic Discussion Group to
          take place at St. Paul's Church in Brooklyn, NY. It was originally
          slated for this Friday May 11th, 2007, but has been postponed till
          Monday May 14th, 2007 5p-9pm. This is unfortunately due to some
          personal items arising for Anthony and Jessica of the Northeast
          Tolkien Society, most importantly last minute job schedule changes.
          If you plan on attending please see http://www.herenistarion.org for
          travel info and moot itinerary for this month's meeting.
          We hope to see you all there, and our apologies for any inconveniences
          to your own plans.
          Best,
          Anthony S Burdge
          Chair Northeast Tolkien Society