Table of Contents, Mythlore 97/98 (v.25 #3/4), shipping to subscribers THIS WEEK!

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2007
      Mythlore 97/98 (v.25 #3/4)

      Table of Contents

      * Editorial - Janet Brennan Croft
      * Fantastical Fact, Home, or Other? The Imagined 'Medieval' in
      C.S. Lewis - Alison Searle
      * Feudal Values, Vassalage, and Fealty in The Lord of the Rings
      --Colleen Donnelly
      * Battling the Woman Warrior: Females and Combat in Tolkien and
      Lewis - Candice Fredrick and Sam McBride
      * Finding Woman's Role in The Lord of the Rings - Melissa McCrory
      Hatcher
      * Through a Dark Lens: Jackson's Lord of the Rings as Abject
      Horror - R.D. Hall
      * The Monstrosity of the Gaze: Critical Problems with a Film
      Adaptation of The Lord of the Rings - Allison Harl
      * Galadriel and Morgan le Fey: Tolkien's Redemption of the Lady of
      the Lacuna - Susan Carter
      * The Fall and Repentance of Galadriel - Romuald Ian Lakowski
      * Prince Caspian and Child Christopher and Goldilind the Fair -
      Robert Boenig
      * Pullman, Lewis, MacDonald, and the Anxiety of Influence -
      William Gray
      * The Ogre Blinded and The Lord of the Rings - Daniel Peretti
      * Beorn and Tom Bombadil: A Tale of Two Heroes - Paul W. Lewis
      * Meaning, Meanings, and Epistemology in C.S. Lewis - Charlie W.
      Starr

      Reviews:

      * The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide. Christina Scull and
      Wayne G. Hammond. - David D. Oberhelman
      * The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All.
      Edited by Gregory Bassham and Eric Bronson. - Clark Hutton

      If your subscription is about to lapse, renew it soon - due in part to
      the postage increase next month, we will be raising the subscription
      price of Mythlore by $5.00 in each subscriber category starting
      September 1. Follow the link below to pay by PayPal!

      Issue 99/100, out this fall, will feature several great articles on the
      Inklings. We will also be announcing the availability of an index to
      issues 1-100, compiled by Edith Crowe and Janet Croft.

      Please pass this on to any friends, colleagues, or librarians who might
      be interested in Mythlore!

      Thanks,

      Janet

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/

      Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
      http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html

      "There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as the Free
      Public Library, this republic of letters, where neither rank, office,
      nor wealth receives the slightest consideration." -Andrew Carnegie,
      industrialist (1835-1919)

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2007
        At 09:29 AM 4/26/2007 -0500, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

        >*Through a Dark Lens: Jackson's Lord of the Rings as Abject
        >Horror - R.D. Hall
        >*The Monstrosity of the Gaze: Critical Problems with a Film
        >Adaptation of The Lord of the Rings - Allison Harl

        You can guess who's going to read those articles first.
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26, 2007
          :-) They are very good articles! And as I say in my introductory
          editorial, "Both offer interesting new ways of examining just what it is
          that makes so many people uncomfortable with the films - and makes so
          many other people love them."

          I had fun organizing this issue because so many of the articles fell
          into opposing or complementary pairs. Those teaching Tolkien or Lewis
          could make a convenient seminar discussion out of some of these paired
          articles!

          Janet

          ________________________________

          At 09:29 AM 4/26/2007 -0500, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

          >*Through a Dark Lens: Jackson's Lord of the Rings as Abject
          >Horror - R.D. Hall
          >*The Monstrosity of the Gaze: Critical Problems with a Film
          >Adaptation of The Lord of the Rings - Allison Harl

          You can guess who's going to read those articles first.

        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2007
            On Apr 26, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

            > Mythlore 97/98 (v.25 #3/4)
            >
            > Table of Contents
            >
            > * Through a Dark Lens: Jackson's Lord of the Rings as Abject
            > Horror - R.D. Hall

            I got my Mythlore yesterday, and read this article right away. I was
            a bit disappointed, because from the title I expected it to be an
            essay on how Jackson's _LotR_ film is an abject horror, not on how it
            is a horror film. ;)

            Carl
          • Diane Joy Baker

              Message 6 of 6 , May 17, 2007
                Thank you, Diane! Always great to get feedback!

                Janet

                From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>