Prospero's children

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2000
      Has anyone read Prospero's Children by Jan Siegel? I started it, got to about
      page 20 or so, and found a bad taste in my mouth. For those who have read it,
      is it worth continuing?

      Basically, I found her writing style a bit too pretentious. It was as if I was
      reading an author who was purposefully trying to be 'artsy' and showing it
      off. That is, the prose was /waaaay/ too purple, so much so that I couldn't
      stick around until enough plot developed to keep me there.

      "Communication has changed so rapidly in the past 20 years, it's almost
      impossible to predict what might occur even in the next decade. E-mail
      which now sends data hurtling across vast distances at the speed of light,
      has replaced primitive forms of communication such as smoke signals, which
      sent data hurtling across vast distances at the speed of light."
      --Steve Martin
      Currently reading: Empire of Unreason by Gregory Keyes