Re: [mythsoc] Re: Recent Fantasy

  • LSolarion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2000
      In a message dated 07/03/2000 11:10:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, qiena@...
      writes:

      << I remember throwing that last installment of
      Martin's on the floor when I realized he was going to leave me dangling in
      midair. At least other series I've read have been somewhat self-contained,
      leaving just enough yearning for the next part without the frustration.

      Sharon >>

      I felt the same way when I read _Lawmaker's War_ (I think that's right...it
      was Lawmaker's something...won't it be great when we're no longer old and
      forgetful!), and realized that Tom Dietz, who had always written single
      volumes (but with recurring characters) would leave me hanging in mid-tale
      until the second half came out a year later. Are any of you familiar with his
      work? Marvelous interaction between Faerie (of Irish myth) and mundane
      Georgia, which are parallel but tangential worlds. He has other series, but
      not as good IMHO. He just started his best series yet with _Bloodwinter_,
      about a society that values craftsmanship so highly that it organizes its
      hierarchies based on skill at artistic creation. My kind of world! Volume
      two, _Springwar_, is due out this fall. But Martin's series is too good to
      wait on.
      Steve