Re: [mythsoc] Source of Tolkien quote

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2007
      Linda DeMars wrote:

      > Thanks so much, Margaret for being so prompt. Yes, I have the quote
      > you mentioned - and the quote I saw had its own tart flavor.
      >
      > Off topic, remember the several letters to the woman who had a farm
      > where she raised fancy pure-bred cows and wanted to honor him by
      > calling the farm Rivendell and the cows Arwen and Galadriel, I think
      > the bull was to be Elrond or Celeborn.

      Yes, and he responded with several more appropriate bull and cow
      names (revealing that the Quenya for "bull" was =mundo=). I
      remember that one.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18, 2007
        I don't recognize that quote. It doesn't come from anything in
        LETTERS OF JRRT. And if Tolkien had made such a definitive statement
        on such a contentious point as the balrog's appearance in any
        published source, I suspect we'd all be v. familiar with it. So I'd
        treat the statement as suspicious unless you can confirm it.
        Sorry not to be helpful.
        --JDR