Re: [mythsoc] Source of Tolkien quote

  • Linda DeMars
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
      Thanks so much, Margaret for being so prompt. Yes, I have the quote
      you mentioned - and the quote I saw had its own tart flavor.

      Off topic, remember the several letters to the woman who had a farm
      where she raised fancy pure-bred cows and wanted to honor him by
      calling the farm Rivendell and the cows Arwen and Galadriel, I think
      the bull was to be Elrond or Celeborn.

      Linda

      On 117Sun AprAug 20072004, at 21:56, Margaret Dean wrote:

      > Linda DeMars wrote:
      > >
      > > Help, please, all-knowing and learned list. I am writing an essay on
      > > Forces of Good and Evil in Tolkien's writings and their possible
      > > source (s) in mythology. Somewhere very recently I read a comment by
      > > Tolkien himself about the Balrog and how he had never pictured it
      > > (him) with horns and a tail. He may even have said, "He does not
      > have
      > > horns and a tail>" I thought it was in the Collected Letters and I
      > > thought it was addressed to Zimmerman (?) who had plans at one time
      > > to make a movie of LOTR trilogy. Naturally I cannot find the quote
      > > now when I want to include it in my essay. Does this quote sound
      > > familiar to anyone? Does anyone remember where it might be? I keep
      > > going through the books I have looking and looking, and it's
      > nowhere.
      >
      > It doesn't sound familiar to me in that form. What Tolkien says
      > about the Balrog in his commentary on Zimmerman's film treatment
      > is:
      >
      > "The Balrog =never speaks or makes any vocal sound= at all.
      > Above all he =does not= laugh or sneer..... Z may think that he
      > knows more about Balrogs than I do, but he cannot expect me to
      > agree with him."
      >
      > At least, that's what's in the published version. For all I know
      > the presumable omission indicated by the ellipses may have
      > included comments about horns and a tail, but somehow I doubt
      > it. And oh, that final, tart sentence is such vintage Tolkien,
      > isn't it? :)
      >
      > --Margaret Dean
      > <margdean@...>

    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18, 2007
        Linda DeMars wrote:

        > Thanks so much, Margaret for being so prompt. Yes, I have the quote
        > you mentioned - and the quote I saw had its own tart flavor.
        >
        > Off topic, remember the several letters to the woman who had a farm
        > where she raised fancy pure-bred cows and wanted to honor him by
        > calling the farm Rivendell and the cows Arwen and Galadriel, I think
        > the bull was to be Elrond or Celeborn.

        Yes, and he responded with several more appropriate bull and cow
        names (revealing that the Quenya for "bull" was =mundo=). I
        remember that one.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 18, 2007
          I don't recognize that quote. It doesn't come from anything in
          LETTERS OF JRRT. And if Tolkien had made such a definitive statement
          on such a contentious point as the balrog's appearance in any
          published source, I suspect we'd all be v. familiar with it. So I'd
          treat the statement as suspicious unless you can confirm it.
          Sorry not to be helpful.
          --JDR