Source of Tolkien quote

  • Linda DeMars
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
      Help, please, all-knowing and learned list. I am writing an essay on
      Forces of Good and Evil in Tolkien's writings and their possible
      source (s) in mythology. Somewhere very recently I read a comment by
      Tolkien himself about the Balrog and how he had never pictured it
      (him) with horns and a tail. He may even have said, "He does not have
      horns and a tail>" I thought it was in the Collected Letters and I
      thought it was addressed to Zimmerman (?) who had plans at one time
      to make a movie of LOTR trilogy. Naturally I cannot find the quote
      now when I want to include it in my essay. Does this quote sound
      familiar to anyone? Does anyone remember where it might be? I keep
      going through the books I have looking and looking, and it's nowhere.

      Hopefully,

      Linda C. DeMars
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
        Linda DeMars wrote:

        > Help, please, all-knowing and learned list. I am writing an essay on
        > Forces of Good and Evil in Tolkien's writings and their possible
        > source (s) in mythology. Somewhere very recently I read a comment by
        > Tolkien himself about the Balrog and how he had never pictured it
        > (him) with horns and a tail. He may even have said, "He does not have
        > horns and a tail>" I thought it was in the Collected Letters and I
        > thought it was addressed to Zimmerman (?) who had plans at one time
        > to make a movie of LOTR trilogy. Naturally I cannot find the quote
        > now when I want to include it in my essay. Does this quote sound
        > familiar to anyone? Does anyone remember where it might be? I keep
        > going through the books I have looking and looking, and it's nowhere.

        It doesn't sound familiar to me in that form. What Tolkien says
        about the Balrog in his commentary on Zimmerman's film treatment
        is:

        "The Balrog =never speaks or makes any vocal sound= at all.
        Above all he =does not= laugh or sneer..... Z may think that he
        knows more about Balrogs than I do, but he cannot expect me to
        agree with him."

        At least, that's what's in the published version. For all I know
        the presumable omission indicated by the ellipses may have
        included comments about horns and a tail, but somehow I doubt
        it. And oh, that final, tart sentence is such vintage Tolkien,
        isn't it? :)

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • Linda DeMars
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
          Thanks so much, Margaret for being so prompt. Yes, I have the quote
          you mentioned - and the quote I saw had its own tart flavor.

          Off topic, remember the several letters to the woman who had a farm
          where she raised fancy pure-bred cows and wanted to honor him by
          calling the farm Rivendell and the cows Arwen and Galadriel, I think
          the bull was to be Elrond or Celeborn.

          Linda

          On 117Sun AprAug 20072004, at 21:56, Margaret Dean wrote:

          > Linda DeMars wrote:
          > >
          > > Help, please, all-knowing and learned list. I am writing an essay on
          > > Forces of Good and Evil in Tolkien's writings and their possible
          > > source (s) in mythology. Somewhere very recently I read a comment by
          > > Tolkien himself about the Balrog and how he had never pictured it
          > > (him) with horns and a tail. He may even have said, "He does not
          > have
          > > horns and a tail>" I thought it was in the Collected Letters and I
          > > thought it was addressed to Zimmerman (?) who had plans at one time
          > > to make a movie of LOTR trilogy. Naturally I cannot find the quote
          > > now when I want to include it in my essay. Does this quote sound
          > > familiar to anyone? Does anyone remember where it might be? I keep
          > > going through the books I have looking and looking, and it's
          > nowhere.
          >
          > It doesn't sound familiar to me in that form. What Tolkien says
          > about the Balrog in his commentary on Zimmerman's film treatment
          > is:
          >
          > "The Balrog =never speaks or makes any vocal sound= at all.
          > Above all he =does not= laugh or sneer..... Z may think that he
          > knows more about Balrogs than I do, but he cannot expect me to
          > agree with him."
          >
          > At least, that's what's in the published version. For all I know
          > the presumable omission indicated by the ellipses may have
          > included comments about horns and a tail, but somehow I doubt
          > it. And oh, that final, tart sentence is such vintage Tolkien,
          > isn't it? :)
          >
          > --Margaret Dean
          > <margdean@...>

        • Margaret Dean
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 18, 2007
            Linda DeMars wrote:

            > Thanks so much, Margaret for being so prompt. Yes, I have the quote
            > you mentioned - and the quote I saw had its own tart flavor.
            >
            > Off topic, remember the several letters to the woman who had a farm
            > where she raised fancy pure-bred cows and wanted to honor him by
            > calling the farm Rivendell and the cows Arwen and Galadriel, I think
            > the bull was to be Elrond or Celeborn.

            Yes, and he responded with several more appropriate bull and cow
            names (revealing that the Quenya for "bull" was =mundo=). I
            remember that one.

            --Margaret Dean
            <margdean@...>
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 18, 2007
              I don't recognize that quote. It doesn't come from anything in
              LETTERS OF JRRT. And if Tolkien had made such a definitive statement
              on such a contentious point as the balrog's appearance in any
              published source, I suspect we'd all be v. familiar with it. So I'd
              treat the statement as suspicious unless you can confirm it.
              Sorry not to be helpful.
              --JDR