Re: another C.o.H. review

  • generalbridge99
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I searched their wbsite and came up with zip. Anyone
      > have better luck?

      Event announcement is here:
      http://www.bookstore.washington.edu/trade.taf?dept=attribute&category=events&par=trade&ttl=events&page=1

      Event location information is here:
      http://www.bookstore.washington.edu/services.taf?dept=about&category=locations&par=services&ttl=locations&page=1#bellevue

      The announcement is as follows:
      Tuesday • April 17 • 7pm
      J.R.R. Tolkien's The Children of Húrin (Houghton Mifflin)
      Reading
      Bellevue Store
      In 1918, J.R.R. Tolkien began work on a story of pre-Lord of the Rings
      Middle-earth. Though pieces of it have appeared in many places, the
      complete tale has never been published—until now. For the last 30
      years, Tolkien's son Christopher has been piecing together the threads
      of the story to craft a definitive version of The Children of Húrin,
      and to celebrate its release, we're holding a read-a-thon in Bellevue.
      Come out and hear a selection of the book it took three decades to
      complete.

      > > A more-or-less local bookstore-- the Univ. of
      > > Wash. Bookstore,
      > > Bellevue branch-- is hosting an event where folks
      > > sign up to read
      > > aloud sections of the book (tomorrow night, T.4/17,
      > > starting at 7
      > > pm); we're hoping to attend and possibly join in. At
      > > the very least,
      > > we'll get our first glimpse of the new book.
      > >
      > > --JDR
      > >

      > > current reading: THE CHINESE PARROT (Earl Derr
      > > Biggers), SAVING
      > > MONTICELLO (Marc Leepson).

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
        On Apr 16, 2007, at 11:17 PM, Bonnie Callahan wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I searched their website and came up with zip. Anyone
        > have better luck?
        >
        > Bonnie

        Sorry about that; the review (an AP piece) was there last night, but
        seems to have been taken down.

        ----------------------------

        However, a friend just sent me a link to a much better piece, which
        not only has an interesting picture of JRRT but also a photo of Adam
        Tolkien and accompanying interview.

        ------------------------------

        I did find another review, the worst I've seen yet, by Marta Salij, at

        http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070417/
        YAK03/70417029/1001/NEWS

        --basically she sneers at it for not being another LotR, and taunts
        "Tolkienheads" who might admire JRRT's early work.

        Finally, a long, thoughtful interview with Wayne & Christina has just
        been posted at Tolkienlibrary.com:

        http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/
        Wayne_Hammond_Christina_Scull_Interview.php

        --JDR