Re: [mythsoc] another C.o.H. review

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2007
      Hi,
      I searched their wbsite and came up with zip. Anyone
      have better luck?

      Bonnie

      --- John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

      > Slightly clueless but generally well-disposed,
      > here's the
      > CHILDREN OF HURIN review from the local paper (The
      > Seattle Post-
      > Intelligencer):
      >
      > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/artandlife/
      > 1404AP_Book_Review_Tolkien.html
      >

      > A more-or-less local bookstore-- the Univ. of
      > Wash. Bookstore,
      > Bellevue branch-- is hosting an event where folks
      > sign up to read
      > aloud sections of the book (tomorrow night, T.4/17,
      > starting at 7
      > pm); we're hoping to attend and possibly join in. At
      > the very least,
      > we'll get our first glimpse of the new book.
      >
      > --JDR
      >

      > current reading: THE CHINESE PARROT (Earl Derr
      > Biggers), SAVING
      > MONTICELLO (Marc Leepson).

    • generalbridge99
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I searched their wbsite and came up with zip. Anyone
        > have better luck?

        Event announcement is here:
        http://www.bookstore.washington.edu/trade.taf?dept=attribute&category=events&par=trade&ttl=events&page=1

        Event location information is here:
        http://www.bookstore.washington.edu/services.taf?dept=about&category=locations&par=services&ttl=locations&page=1#bellevue

        The announcement is as follows:
        Tuesday • April 17 • 7pm
        J.R.R. Tolkien's The Children of Húrin (Houghton Mifflin)
        Reading
        Bellevue Store
        In 1918, J.R.R. Tolkien began work on a story of pre-Lord of the Rings
        Middle-earth. Though pieces of it have appeared in many places, the
        complete tale has never been published—until now. For the last 30
        years, Tolkien's son Christopher has been piecing together the threads
        of the story to craft a definitive version of The Children of Húrin,
        and to celebrate its release, we're holding a read-a-thon in Bellevue.
        Come out and hear a selection of the book it took three decades to
        complete.

        > > A more-or-less local bookstore-- the Univ. of
        > > Wash. Bookstore,
        > > Bellevue branch-- is hosting an event where folks
        > > sign up to read
        > > aloud sections of the book (tomorrow night, T.4/17,
        > > starting at 7
        > > pm); we're hoping to attend and possibly join in. At
        > > the very least,
        > > we'll get our first glimpse of the new book.
        > >
        > > --JDR
        > >

        > > current reading: THE CHINESE PARROT (Earl Derr
        > > Biggers), SAVING
        > > MONTICELLO (Marc Leepson).

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
          On Apr 16, 2007, at 11:17 PM, Bonnie Callahan wrote:
          > Hi,
          > I searched their website and came up with zip. Anyone
          > have better luck?
          >
          > Bonnie

          Sorry about that; the review (an AP piece) was there last night, but
          seems to have been taken down.

          ----------------------------

          However, a friend just sent me a link to a much better piece, which
          not only has an interesting picture of JRRT but also a photo of Adam
          Tolkien and accompanying interview.

          ------------------------------

          I did find another review, the worst I've seen yet, by Marta Salij, at

          http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070417/
          YAK03/70417029/1001/NEWS

          --basically she sneers at it for not being another LotR, and taunts
          "Tolkienheads" who might admire JRRT's early work.

          Finally, a long, thoughtful interview with Wayne & Christina has just
          been posted at Tolkienlibrary.com:

          http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/
          Wayne_Hammond_Christina_Scull_Interview.php

          --JDR