another C.o.H. review

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2007
      Slightly clueless but generally well-disposed, here's the
      CHILDREN OF HURIN review from the local paper (The Seattle Post-
      Intelligencer):

      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/artandlife/
      1404AP_Book_Review_Tolkien.html

      A more-or-less local bookstore-- the Univ. of Wash. Bookstore,
      Bellevue branch-- is hosting an event where folks sign up to read
      aloud sections of the book (tomorrow night, T.4/17, starting at 7
      pm); we're hoping to attend and possibly join in. At the very least,
      we'll get our first glimpse of the new book.

      --JDR

      current reading: THE CHINESE PARROT (Earl Derr Biggers), SAVING
      MONTICELLO (Marc Leepson).
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16, 2007
        Hi,
        I searched their wbsite and came up with zip. Anyone
        have better luck?

        Bonnie

        --- John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

        > Slightly clueless but generally well-disposed,
        > here's the
        > CHILDREN OF HURIN review from the local paper (The
        > Seattle Post-
        > Intelligencer):
        >
        > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/artandlife/
        > 1404AP_Book_Review_Tolkien.html
        >

        > A more-or-less local bookstore-- the Univ. of
        > Wash. Bookstore,
        > Bellevue branch-- is hosting an event where folks
        > sign up to read
        > aloud sections of the book (tomorrow night, T.4/17,
        > starting at 7
        > pm); we're hoping to attend and possibly join in. At
        > the very least,
        > we'll get our first glimpse of the new book.
        >
        > --JDR
        >

        > current reading: THE CHINESE PARROT (Earl Derr
        > Biggers), SAVING
        > MONTICELLO (Marc Leepson).

      • generalbridge99
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Callahan <bonolatm@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I searched their wbsite and came up with zip. Anyone
          > have better luck?

          Event announcement is here:
          http://www.bookstore.washington.edu/trade.taf?dept=attribute&category=events&par=trade&ttl=events&page=1

          Event location information is here:
          http://www.bookstore.washington.edu/services.taf?dept=about&category=locations&par=services&ttl=locations&page=1#bellevue

          The announcement is as follows:
          Tuesday • April 17 • 7pm
          J.R.R. Tolkien's The Children of Húrin (Houghton Mifflin)
          Reading
          Bellevue Store
          In 1918, J.R.R. Tolkien began work on a story of pre-Lord of the Rings
          Middle-earth. Though pieces of it have appeared in many places, the
          complete tale has never been published—until now. For the last 30
          years, Tolkien's son Christopher has been piecing together the threads
          of the story to craft a definitive version of The Children of Húrin,
          and to celebrate its release, we're holding a read-a-thon in Bellevue.
          Come out and hear a selection of the book it took three decades to
          complete.

          > > A more-or-less local bookstore-- the Univ. of
          > > Wash. Bookstore,
          > > Bellevue branch-- is hosting an event where folks
          > > sign up to read
          > > aloud sections of the book (tomorrow night, T.4/17,
          > > starting at 7
          > > pm); we're hoping to attend and possibly join in. At
          > > the very least,
          > > we'll get our first glimpse of the new book.
          > >
          > > --JDR
          > >

          > > current reading: THE CHINESE PARROT (Earl Derr
          > > Biggers), SAVING
          > > MONTICELLO (Marc Leepson).

        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 17, 2007
            On Apr 16, 2007, at 11:17 PM, Bonnie Callahan wrote:
            > Hi,
            > I searched their website and came up with zip. Anyone
            > have better luck?
            >
            > Bonnie

            Sorry about that; the review (an AP piece) was there last night, but
            seems to have been taken down.

            ----------------------------

            However, a friend just sent me a link to a much better piece, which
            not only has an interesting picture of JRRT but also a photo of Adam
            Tolkien and accompanying interview.

            ------------------------------

            I did find another review, the worst I've seen yet, by Marta Salij, at

            http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070417/
            YAK03/70417029/1001/NEWS

            --basically she sneers at it for not being another LotR, and taunts
            "Tolkienheads" who might admire JRRT's early work.

            Finally, a long, thoughtful interview with Wayne & Christina has just
            been posted at Tolkienlibrary.com:

            http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/
            Wayne_Hammond_Christina_Scull_Interview.php

            --JDR