Re: Another Children of Hurin review

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 16, 2007
      A much more balanced piece in The Independent:

      http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/reviews/
      article2450332.ece

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Edmonds
      <jeremy@...> wrote:

      > Another review at the TimesOnline.com site:
      this one falls in the category of
      > brutally against Tolkien.
      >
      > "Sentences with a gnomic brevity derived from
      the sagas are overwhelmed by
      > pages of self-indulgent feebleness."
      >
      > http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/
      arts_and_entertainment/books/fiction/
      article1639071.ece

      One wonders why on earth this person was tabbed
      to review it. Vide Lewis's comments regarding
      reviewing and detective stories. In this case,
      it reads like a review of /Amazing Grace/
      written by a Klansman.
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 18, 2007
        I received my copies of both the US (Houghton Mifflin) and UK
        (HarperCollins) trade editions of _Children of Húrin_ today, and
        wanted to let interested readers know that while identical in
        contents, the UK edition is larger in page size (also in plate size,
        for the illustrations), in better boards, on better paper, and with
        better (sewn) binding. For my money, in terms of attractiveness and
        durability, it's well worth the additional cost to get the UK edition
        instead of the US one.

        FWIW.

        Carl
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 18, 2007
          Wow. Color me surprised. Thanks for letting us know, Carl.

          I figured the exact opposite would be true. I'm looking at my copy of the extended edition of Smith of Wootton Major as I write this � printed as it is on what appears to be heavy, recycled newspaper; in fact, I think it might have been used by a homeless person to keep the rain off before the text was printed on it. And the binding is clogged together with the kind of glue that ... well ... let's just say, the Rohirrim wouldn't be too happy about it.

          Jason

          ----- Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@...> ----

          I received my copies of both the US (Houghton Mifflin) and UK
          (HarperCollins) trade editions of _Children of H�rin_ today, and
          wanted to let interested readers know that while identical in
          contents, the UK edition is larger in page size (also in plate size,
          for the illustrations) , in better boards, on better paper, and with
          better (sewn) binding. For my money, in terms of attractiveness and
          durability, it's well worth the additional cost to get the UK edition
          instead of the US one.

          FWIW.

          Carl

        • Jeremy Edmonds
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 18, 2007
            Hi all,

            I am interested in getting some back issues of the Tolkien fanzine Tyalië
            Tyelelliéva, run by Lisa Star but currently inactive. Her webpage has an email
            contact address on it, which does not bounce but she has not responded to any
            inquiries that I am aware of in over a year (though she has updated the website
            since then.) Does anyone have a better contact method for her that they could
            share, or pass on to her that I would like to contact her?

            http://www.geocities.com/athens/parthenon/9902/

            Thanks,
            Jeremy
          • Oberhelman, D
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 23, 2007
              I just received the HarperCollins Deluxe _Children of Hurin_ today and really like its construction. The paper is heavy, the binding firm, the helm design on the box is very sharp. The color in the plates is more vibrant and the details are crisper than the Houghton Mifflin trade edition (Lee's paintings look rather dull and muddy to me there). It costs a little more than the UK trade edition Carl mentioned last, but is well worth the price if you want a very nice collectible edition. It also is the same height as the other HarperCollins Deluxes/LOTR 50th.

              David Oberhelman

            • Elena Rossi
              Message 6 of 27 , May 19, 2007
                --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:

                > I received my copies of both the US (Houghton
                > Mifflin) and UK
                > (HarperCollins) trade editions of _Children of
                > Húrin_ today, and
                > wanted to let interested readers know that while
                > identical in
                > contents, the UK edition is larger in page size
                > (also in plate size,
                > for the illustrations), in better boards, on better
                > paper, and with
                > better (sewn) binding.

                Are you sure of that?
                I received my copy today (I had pre-ordered it long
                ago but for a misunderstanding the bookshop set aside
                my copy and didn't send it for some weeks), it's a
                HarperCollins but it's not sewn, pages are just glued
                to the spine, which I find very very disappointing!
                :-(
                Is it possible that there are several batches produced
                by HarperCollins, some sewn and some glued? My copy
                should be a first edition as far as I can tell, there
                is written "Published by HarperCollins Publishers
                2007" and then, on the line below, "I".

                Oh, well, it's not that important, but I hate such
                "false paperbacks" that fall into pieces after a few
                readings!

                Regards
                Elena

                ____________________________________________________________________________________Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
              • hisilome
                Message 7 of 27 , May 20, 2007
                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Elena Rossi <rossiele@...> wrote:

                  > --- "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I received my copies of both the US (Houghton
                  > > Mifflin) and UK
                  > > (HarperCollins) trade editions of _Children of
                  > > Húrin_ today, and
                  > > wanted to let interested readers know that while
                  > > identical in
                  > > contents, the UK edition is larger in page size
                  > > (also in plate size,
                  > > for the illustrations), in better boards, on better
                  > > paper, and with
                  > > better (sewn) binding.
                  >
                  > Are you sure of that?
                  > I received my copy today (I had pre-ordered it long
                  > ago but for a misunderstanding the bookshop set aside
                  > my copy and didn't send it for some weeks), it's a
                  > HarperCollins but it's not sewn, pages are just glued
                  > to the spine, which I find very very disappointing!
                  > :-(
                  > Is it possible that there are several batches produced
                  > by HarperCollins, some sewn and some glued? My copy
                  > should be a first edition as far as I can tell, there
                  > is written "Published by HarperCollins Publishers
                  > 2007" and then, on the line below, "I".
                  >
                  > Oh, well, it's not that important, but I hate such
                  > "false paperbacks" that fall into pieces after a few
                  > readings!

                  Well, it may not be _that_ important, but I haven't received my copy
                  yet, and I can tell you that like you I'll certainly be disappointed
                  if the pages are just glued together! This seems to happen a lot
                  these days, though, take the Houghton Mifflin (hardcover) editions
                  of "The History of Middle-earth" series, for example--but I'd have
                  expected a bit more from HarperCollins. In particular, I don't see
                  how they can sell both "sewn" and "glued" copies for the same price.
                  (I've already written to both Amazon and HarperCollins to inquire
                  about this, maybe you want to do that, too? Costs nothing...)

                  On that note, I just received my copy of the first volume of John D.
                  Rateliff's "The History of the Hobbit", and guess what: also a "false
                  paperback", as you call it. Now I'm not sure in this case if all the
                  hardcover copies have glued spines, or if there are properly sewn
                  copies out there as well? Maybe others on this list who also ordered
                  this book can satisfy my curiosity...

                  Greetings,

                  David
                • Jason Fisher
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 20, 2007
                    > --- Elena wote: ---
                    > Are you sure of that? ...
                    > it's a HarperCollins but it's not sewn,
                    > pages are just glued to the spine ...
                    > Is it possible that there are several
                    > batches produced by HarperCollins,
                    > some sewn and some glued?

                    This is interesting because when I got my U.S. Houghton-Mifflin copy from Amazon � I too had it preordered � I noticed it was a *second* printing. This was very annoying � until I went to the bookstore and compared it to the first printing. Strangely, the second (and perhaps all subsequent?) U.S. printing was of better quality (better paper, better binding � though still not as good as Carl and David have made the first British printing sound) than the *first*! So, this sounds like the opposite situation with HarperCollins, whose first sounds better than its subsequent printings. You say you think yours is a first printing, Elena, and it may be, but I've found it's sometimes harder to tell with some publishers. Houghton-Mifflin's printings are more clearly identified.

                    So, second U.S. printing though it is, it's the one I'm keeping. For now, anyway. Whims of the publishing industry, I guess.

                    Jason

                  • Elena Rossi
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 20, 2007
                      --- hisilome <david.vdpeet@...> wrote:

                      > Well, it may not be _that_ important, but I haven't
                      > received my copy
                      > yet, and I can tell you that like you I'll certainly
                      > be disappointed
                      > if the pages are just glued together! This seems to
                      > happen a lot
                      > these days, though, take the Houghton Mifflin
                      > (hardcover) editions
                      > of "The History of Middle-earth" series, for
                      > example--but I'd have
                      > expected a bit more from HarperCollins.

                      I too expected much better!
                      Actually, I expected something like the edition of
                      "the Hobbit" illustrated by Alan Lee... It's very
                      similar as layout (both have pencil drawings at the
                      beginning of each chapter, and some full-page coloutr
                      plates.
                      But The Hobbit is printed on a beautiful glossy paper
                      (with sewn binding, even for the paperback!) that
                      makes every single pencil stroke stand out even if
                      the drawings have very delicate shades of grey... In
                      COH on the contrary, such detailed reproduction is not
                      possible because (it's only just a normal paper, not
                      especially bad quality but simply not suitable for
                      such illustration), and details disappear in a sort of
                      grey cloud that makes a very poor service to Alan
                      Lee's art :-(.
                      And if you try to look closer, you just see the dots
                      of the halftone screen :-(

                      I thought that with COH they would do the same as for
                      The Hobbit, but obviously the temptation to save a few
                      cents on each copy by making a cheap edition (cheap
                      for them, not for the readers!) was too strong.

                      > In
                      > particular, I don't see
                      > how they can sell both "sewn" and "glued" copies for
                      > the same price.
                      > (I've already written to both Amazon and
                      > HarperCollins to inquire
                      > about this, maybe you want to do that, too? Costs
                      > nothing...)

                      Oh, well, I think now it's too late...Now I have it
                      and I'll keep it...And hope that by the time it start
                      losing pages, there will be another, better edition...
                      Also, I didn't buy it from Amazon but from Forbidden
                      Planet (London), because Alan Lee would be there to
                      sign copies on 19th April and it was possible to order
                      signed copies even from the internet... And my copy
                      was signed (I'm a fan of Alan Lee), so it's
                      necessarily one that was already in the library on
                      that date (which together with the 'I' printed near
                      the copyright, makes me think it's a first edition...I
                      really don't care about first editions, but I only
                      wonder whether the stitched/sewn may depend from the
                      edition).

                      > On that note, I just received my copy of the first
                      > volume of John D.
                      > Rateliff's "The History of the Hobbit", and guess
                      > what: also a "false
                      > paperback", as you call it.

                      I haven't bought it yet, but I'm rather disappointed
                      to hear that :-(
                      (I meant a "false hardback", but probably the concept
                      is the same).
                      Another sad example of this is the extended edition of
                      Somith of Wootton Major edited by Verlyn Flieger...
                      The book is magnificent; there is the reproduction of
                      all the first edition (with illustrations by Pauline
                      Baynes), then notes and commentaries, then the
                      original draft by Tolkien (pictures of every single
                      page, with transcription on the opposite page)...All
                      this ruined by a binding where pages (made of rather
                      rigid paper) seem to fly away from the first time you
                      open the book.

                      > Now I'm not sure in this
                      > case if all the
                      > hardcover copies have glued spines, or if there are
                      > properly sewn
                      > copies out there as well? Maybe others on this list
                      > who also ordered
                      > this book can satisfy my curiosity...

                      Well, I've never heard that a book was issued in two
                      such different forms at the same time by the same
                      publisher, that's why I asked Carl if he was sure that
                      the COH he owns is really sewn (sometimes the
                      difference is obvious, but sometimes pages are packed
                      very strictly and it's not easy to see the
                      difference!); or maybe he has the Deluxe edition? (I
                      think the Deluxe edition is sewn, or what Deluxe
                      edition is it?)

                      Regards
                      Elena

                      http://sims.yahoo.com/
                    • hisilome
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 21, 2007
                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Elena Rossi <rossiele@...> wrote:

                        > --- hisilome <david.vdpeet@...> wrote:
                        > >>
                        > > Well, it may not be _that_ important, but I haven't
                        > > received my copy
                        > > yet, and I can tell you that like you I'll certainly
                        > > be disappointed
                        > > if the pages are just glued together! <snip>

                        > I too expected much better!
                        > Actually, I expected something like the edition of
                        > "the Hobbit" illustrated by Alan Lee... It's very
                        > similar as layout (both have pencil drawings at the
                        > beginning of each chapter, and some full-page coloutr
                        > plates.
                        > But The Hobbit is printed on a beautiful glossy paper
                        > (with sewn binding, even for the paperback!) that
                        > makes every single pencil stroke stand out even if
                        > the drawings have very delicate shades of grey...

                        Well, I don't own or have seen the "Lee Hobbit", but it sounds like a
                        nice edition! This is exactly what bothers me, there are enough
                        examples out there of how it can be done, incl. also the first and
                        second edition of Anderson's "Annotated Hobbit" [my copies published
                        by Unwin Hyman / HarperCollins, respectively--truth be told, in terms
                        of paper quality and reproductions, the second edition is superior to
                        the first, which is considerably larger in page size and comes with a
                        very different dust jacket, but has only B&W / two-color
                        illustrations which are often a bit small for my taste].
                        Or there is the second edition (haven't seen the first) of "The Road
                        Goes Ever On" [George Allen & Unwin, 1978], or the latest works by
                        Hammond and Scull, the "LotR Reader's Companion" [here the
                        HarperCollins / Houghton Mifflin editions are practically identical,
                        at least mine] and the "Tolkien Companion and Guide", or even the
                        paperback edition [Houghton Mifflin] of the earlier "J.R.R. Tolkien:
                        Artist and Illustrator". All printed on decent to very good paper,
                        all sewn and with good quality reproductions of pictures and drawings
                        (if present).
                        Compare that to later printings of the History of Middle-earth by
                        Houghton Mifflin which are usually shoddily glued together and
                        consistently leave out color frontispieces, which were originally a
                        feature in several volumes (others had no frontispiece [e.g. BoLT 2],
                        and yet others had a B&W frontispiece [e.g. BoLT 1])--now
                        HarperCollins doesn't issue those single-volume copies anymore (well,
                        only as paperbacks, that is).
                        Houghton Mifflin used to have the frontispieces in their first
                        editions (with the exception of Volume XII, I believe), but now
                        they've decided to save money instead. The thing is, they don't tell
                        you that if you order the books on their site, or at Amazon, for that
                        matter. (On-line) second-hand book dealers often seem to give you a
                        lot more details about individual copies, and I've usually found them
                        to be quite reliable.

                        I'm rambling on and on. If you're still with me, I'd just like to
                        encourage everybody that whenever receiving a copy that's not what
                        you had a right to expect, or it's just sloppily manufactured, I
                        think it doesn't hurt to send the publishers / dealers some feedback.
                        Maybe it will make a bit of a difference.

                        > In COH on the contrary, such detailed reproduction is not
                        > possible because (it's only just a normal paper, not
                        > especially bad quality but simply not suitable for
                        > such illustration), and details disappear in a sort of
                        > grey cloud that makes a very poor service to Alan
                        > Lee's art :-(.
                        > And if you try to look closer, you just see the dots
                        > of the halftone screen :-(
                        >
                        > I thought that with COH they would do the same as for
                        > The Hobbit, but obviously the temptation to save a few
                        > cents on each copy by making a cheap edition (cheap
                        > for them, not for the readers!) was too strong.

                        Exactly! Either they make it cheap (and that also means selling it
                        cheap[er]), or they do it right, and then they can charge a decent
                        price.

                        <snip>

                        > Well, I've never heard that a book was issued in two
                        > such different forms at the same time by the same
                        > publisher, that's why I asked Carl if he was sure that
                        > the COH he owns is really sewn (sometimes the
                        > difference is obvious, but sometimes pages are packed
                        > very strictly and it's not easy to see the
                        > difference!); or maybe he has the Deluxe edition? (I
                        > think the Deluxe edition is sewn, or what Deluxe
                        > edition is it?)
                        > Regards
                        > Elena

                        Carl was explicitly referring to the trade editions, and I think
                        those are the "normal" hardcover editions, not the deluxe ones. So I
                        think if your copy is really just glued together, then HarperCollins
                        did exactly that: issue the book in two different forms at the same
                        time.

                        It's true that it can sometimes be a little bit tricky to see if a
                        copy is sewn or not, but a close examination usually leaves no doubt.

                        Amazon actually replied to my inquiry to let me know that I'll be
                        receiving a hardcover edition of CoH with sewn binding--so I'm
                        keeping my fingers crossed. No word on "The History of the Hobbit",
                        though...

                        Anyway, I'm sorry I've been reeling way off topic throughout the
                        entire post, and of course the content is more important than the
                        package. It just adds to the enjoyment when both match each other in
                        quality!

                        Greetings,

                        David
                      • William Cloud Hicklin
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 21, 2007
                          FWIW, my trade edition of CoH (obtained through
                          Amazon) is definitely sewn.
                        • Elena Rossi
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 21, 2007
                            --- hisilome <david.vdpeet@...> wrote:

                            > Well, I don't own or have seen the "Lee Hobbit", but
                            > it sounds like a
                            > nice edition!
                            Yes, it is... Even the "paperback" is very solidly
                            bound, with glossy paper and stitched binding...The
                            only difference with the hardback is that the cover
                            (of course) is not rigid.

                            >This is exactly what bothers me, there
                            > are enough
                            > examples out there of how it can be done, incl. also
                            > the first and
                            > second edition of Anderson's "Annotated Hobbit" [my
                            > copies published
                            > by Unwin Hyman / HarperCollins, respectively--truth
                            > be told, in terms
                            > of paper quality and reproductions, the second
                            > edition is superior to
                            > the first, which is considerably larger in page size
                            > and comes with a
                            > very different dust jacket, but has only B&W /
                            > two-color
                            > illustrations which are often a bit small for my
                            > taste].
                            > Or there is the second edition (haven't seen the
                            > first) of "The Road
                            > Goes Ever On" [George Allen & Unwin, 1978], or the
                            > latest works by
                            > Hammond and Scull, the "LotR Reader's Companion"
                            > [here the
                            > HarperCollins / Houghton Mifflin editions are
                            > practically identical,
                            > at least mine] and the "Tolkien Companion and
                            > Guide", or even the
                            > paperback edition [Houghton Mifflin] of the earlier
                            > "J.R.R. Tolkien:
                            > Artist and Illustrator". All printed on decent to
                            > very good paper,
                            > all sewn and with good quality reproductions of
                            > pictures and drawings
                            > (if present).

                            That's true! Books by Hammond and Scull have all
                            excellent editions, very solid and that won't fall
                            apart even after years of use (that's important, as
                            being works of consultation, they should resist to a
                            "heavy use").

                            > Compare that to later printings of the History of
                            > Middle-earth by
                            > Houghton Mifflin which are usually shoddily glued
                            > together and
                            > consistently leave out color frontispieces, which
                            > were originally a
                            > feature in several volumes (others had no
                            > frontispiece [e.g. BoLT 2],
                            > and yet others had a B&W frontispiece [e.g. BoLT
                            > 1])--now
                            > HarperCollins doesn't issue those single-volume
                            > copies anymore (well,
                            > only as paperbacks, that is).

                            Yes, I only have them paperbacks :-(
                            There are hardbacks made by packing three books
                            together, but frankly they seem to me too bulky to be
                            practical... Single volumes would be better.

                            > Houghton Mifflin used to have the frontispieces in
                            > their first
                            > editions (with the exception of Volume XII, I
                            > believe), but now
                            > they've decided to save money instead. The thing is,
                            > they don't tell
                            > you that if you order the books on their site, or at
                            > Amazon, for that
                            > matter.

                            Well, I'm in Italy and I can't even see such books in
                            normal bookshops, so I often have to order them
                            "blindly" on the internet.
                            Sometimes they are better than I expected (as The
                            Hobbit by Alan Lee or books by W. Hammond and
                            C.Scull), sometimes they are worse :-(

                            > (On-line) second-hand book dealers often
                            > seem to give you a
                            > lot more details about individual copies, and I've
                            > usually found them
                            > to be quite reliable.

                            I had never thought of that, I'll keep it in mind for
                            next time...

                            > I'm rambling on and on. If you're still with me, I'd
                            > just like to
                            > encourage everybody that whenever receiving a copy
                            > that's not what
                            > you had a right to expect, or it's just sloppily
                            > manufactured, I
                            > think it doesn't hurt to send the publishers /
                            > dealers some feedback.
                            > Maybe it will make a bit of a difference.

                            Well, a couple of years ago i bought from Amazon a
                            "hardback" edition of The Silmarillion, to substitute
                            my old Allen&Unwin paperback edition that was starting
                            to lose pages (after many readings). I was not
                            interested in a "deluxe" or illustrated copy, I just
                            wanted a good hardback with sewn binding...Actually
                            what I received was a _glued_ hardback :-(; and not
                            only that; the quality of the edition was appalling,
                            especially when confronted with my old paperback
                            edition!! Margins were practically nonexistent, while
                            the font used was much smaller than the one of my old
                            copy... OK, I still have a good sight :-), but the
                            comparison with the old paperback was shameful. And
                            the new edition was not even particularly cheap!!
                            I wrote a complaint mail to HarperCollins, telling
                            them what I thought of their poor edition of
                            Silmarillion (I remember I told the the only thing
                            that was good was the dustjacket)- not that I expected
                            anything, but I think that if people don't start to
                            complain, publishers maybe think that we don't even
                            notice.
                            Actually, very surprisingly, they answered and asked
                            my address, apologizing for my disappointing and
                            offering a replecement...And they sent me for free an
                            illustrated (by Ted Nasmith) copy, which was sewn and
                            was a good edition. But I'm afraid they missed my
                            point, which was not so much my _personal_
                            disappointment over that book, but the fact that
                            publishers should try to make _good_ books, not things
                            that look cheap in every detail except the price.

                            > Exactly! Either they make it cheap (and that also
                            > means selling it
                            > cheap[er]), or they do it right, and then they can
                            > charge a decent
                            > price.

                            That's right, a cover price of 18.99 pounds is in
                            exaggeration IMO for a glued binding.

                            > Carl was explicitly referring to the trade editions,
                            > and I think
                            > those are the "normal" hardcover editions, not the
                            > deluxe ones. So I
                            > think if your copy is really just glued together,
                            > then HarperCollins
                            > did exactly that: issue the book in two different
                            > forms at the same
                            > time.

                            >:-(
                            In this case I think I'll consider re-buying it...

                            > It's true that it can sometimes be a little bit
                            > tricky to see if a
                            > copy is sewn or not, but a close examination usually
                            > leaves no doubt.
                            >
                            > Amazon actually replied to my inquiry to let me know
                            > that I'll be
                            > receiving a hardcover edition of CoH with sewn
                            > binding--so I'm
                            > keeping my fingers crossed. No word on "The History
                            > of the Hobbit",
                            > though...

                            Well, let me know what type is your CoH when you get
                            it...
                            Although I think that if I buy it again, I'll probably
                            choose the Deluxe edition to be sure (and anyway it's
                            very discounted at the moment)...
                            I'm sorry that the new one won't be signed by Alan
                            Lee, but if I have to choose I prefer a better
                            binding.

                            > Anyway, I'm sorry I've been reeling way off topic
                            > throughout the
                            > entire post, and of course the content is more
                            > important than the
                            > package. It just adds to the enjoyment when both
                            > match each other in
                            > quality!

                            Well, of course the content is more important! But
                            when the "package" is going to self-destroy, it also
                            diminishes the enjoyment of the content...Besides
                            that, if there were no alternatives (i.e. CoH was only
                            available in glued binding) I would resign myself as
                            "either this or nothing", but as it seems there are
                            different editions, I hope to get one that is going to
                            last...

                            Regards
                            Elena

                            ____________________________________________________________________________________Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7