Re: [mythsoc] Humor and Tolkien

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
      "The fruit was so plentiful that young hobbits very nearly bathed in
      strawberries and cream; and later they sat on the lawns under the
      plum-trees and ate, until they had made piles of stones like small
      pyramids or the heaped skulls of a conqueror, and then they moved on.
      And no one was ill, and everyone was pleased, except those who had to mow
      the grass."

      Here's one you won't find in most copies of the book, because Tolkien
      took the joke out when he revised the book in 1966, evidently feeling
      that Aragorn had been being too sarcastic:

      "`You have looked in that accursed stone of wizardry!' exclaimed Gimli
      with fear and astonishment in his face. `Did you say aught to -- him?
      Even Gandalf feared that encounter.'

      `You forget to whom you speak,' said Aragorn sternly, and his eyes
      glinted. `What do you fear that I should say: that I had a rascal of a
      rebel dwarf here that I would gladly exchange for a serviceable orc?'"

      David Bratman