Re: [mythsoc] Humor and Tolkien

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
      My favorite JRRT humor is the banter -- quite realistic, actually:

      [from Lobelia] 'You don't belong here; you're no Baggins--you--you're a
      Brandybuck!'
      'Did you hear that, Merry? That was an insult, if you like,' said Frodo as
      he shut the door on her.
      'It was a compliment,' said Merry Brandybuck, 'and so, of course, not true.'

      '... I don't want to answer a string of questions while I am eating. I want
      to think!'
      'Good heavens! ...At breakfast?'

      '...my companion, who, alas! is overcome with weariness'--here he gave the
      other a dig with his foot--'is Peregrin, son of Paladin, of the house of
      Took.'...
      'And was it Saruman that ordered you to guard his damaged doors...?'
      'No, good sir, the matter escaped him...'

      'One thing you have not found in your hunting, and that is brighter wits,'
      said Pippin, opening an eye. 'Here you find us sitting on a field of
      victory, amid the plunder of armies, and you wonder how we came by a few
      well-earned comforts!'
      'Well-earned?' said Gimli. 'I cannot believe that!'
      The Riders laughed. 'It cannot be doubted that we witness the meeting of
      dear friends,' said Théoden.

      'Very well, Mr. Baggins,' said the leader, pushing the barrier aside. 'But
      don't forget I've arrested you.'
      'I won't,' said Frodo. 'Never. But I may forgive you.'

      And the classic: 'I don't know half of you half as well as I should like;
      and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.'

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
        "The fruit was so plentiful that young hobbits very nearly bathed in
        strawberries and cream; and later they sat on the lawns under the
        plum-trees and ate, until they had made piles of stones like small
        pyramids or the heaped skulls of a conqueror, and then they moved on.
        And no one was ill, and everyone was pleased, except those who had to mow
        the grass."

        Here's one you won't find in most copies of the book, because Tolkien
        took the joke out when he revised the book in 1966, evidently feeling
        that Aragorn had been being too sarcastic:

        "`You have looked in that accursed stone of wizardry!' exclaimed Gimli
        with fear and astonishment in his face. `Did you say aught to -- him?
        Even Gandalf feared that encounter.'

        `You forget to whom you speak,' said Aragorn sternly, and his eyes
        glinted. `What do you fear that I should say: that I had a rascal of a
        rebel dwarf here that I would gladly exchange for a serviceable orc?'"

        David Bratman