Re: [mythsoc] Paradise Lost/Faerie Queene

  • Elizabeth Hardy
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
      It doesn't have to be that old. I've seen high school students write that we had slavery in the US until the 1960s when Martin Luther King freed the slaves! (One even placed this accomplishment shortly after his nailing the 95 thesis to the church door). Maybe a Paradise Lost movie will at least help my students understand a few allusions. I just taught Milton's "On his Blindness" in my lit survey class, and hardly any of my students recognized the parable of the talents, though most of them at least claim to be chuch goers. Their knowledge of mythology is even thinner. And they don't even know what they're missing! I pity them so for it.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
        The Belgium website TolkienLibrary.com has just posted a nice long
        interview with Diana about her new book. Anyone who's not yet picked
        up THE COMPANY THEY KEEP can find more reasons why doing so is a good
        idea here:

        http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/The_Company_They_Keep.php

        --JDR
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
          Also note a likewise good long interview with John Rateliff about his
          THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT, the picking up of which is likewise a fine
          idea.

          --MAF