Re: [mythsoc] Paradise Lost/Faerie Queene

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
      From: sacnoth@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 1:09 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Paradise Lost/Faerie Queene

      <<I guess for some people the idea that it's old and in English
      inevitably becomes 'in Old English'. >>
      That's exactly right. Just as in modern pop culture anything more than two centuries old (from when they wore "funny clothes") is automatically labeled "mediaeval". Last year I overheard a high school kid on the bus explaining that George Washington lived in the Middle Ages.
      AlexeiVisit Your Group
      Genre magazine
      Science fiction and fantasy
      Film genres
      Apprentice LA
      Who will be next?
      Play the Bix.com
      faceoff to see!
      Yahoo! Movies
      Up for a movie?
      Check out showtimes
      and buy tickets
      Yahoo! News
      Fashion News
      What's the word on
      fashion and style?.

    • Elizabeth Hardy
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
        It doesn't have to be that old. I've seen high school students write that we had slavery in the US until the 1960s when Martin Luther King freed the slaves! (One even placed this accomplishment shortly after his nailing the 95 thesis to the church door). Maybe a Paradise Lost movie will at least help my students understand a few allusions. I just taught Milton's "On his Blindness" in my lit survey class, and hardly any of my students recognized the parable of the talents, though most of them at least claim to be chuch goers. Their knowledge of mythology is even thinner. And they don't even know what they're missing! I pity them so for it.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
          The Belgium website TolkienLibrary.com has just posted a nice long
          interview with Diana about her new book. Anyone who's not yet picked
          up THE COMPANY THEY KEEP can find more reasons why doing so is a good
          idea here:

          http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/The_Company_They_Keep.php

          --JDR
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
            Also note a likewise good long interview with John Rateliff about his
            THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT, the picking up of which is likewise a fine
            idea.

            --MAF