Re: [mythsoc] Paradise Lost/Faerie Queene

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
      On Apr 3, 2007, at 11:53 PM, Elizabeth Hardy wrote:
      > Maybe I can hope a few of the archangels wil pay a visit to these
      > people! I have always thought the Faerie Queene would make an
      > amazing series of movies (since I have written about both epic
      > poems' influence on Lewis). If a person could just get past the
      > language (which, thankfully, is not Old, nor even Middle English),
      > but now I'm hoping that the Hollywood types never hear of Edmund
      > Spenser. If they find out how much sex, violence, and opprtunity
      > for CGI wizardy are in FQ, the abuse may go on...

      In a better world, Chuck Jones would have done a Looney Tunes film
      adaptation of Book One of the Faerie Queene; Spenser's story is
      ideally suited to such an approach, and it would have broken the ice
      and let people read Spenser for the story and ignore the allegory.
      Alas for lost opportunities.

      > Poor Milton.

      You know, Milton was a pretty tough old bird (serving in Cromwell's
      revolutionary government wasn't for sissies). I think the filmmaker
      is trying to meld Jackson's LotR with Gibson's Passion of the Christ.
      But it's pretty clear the producer hasn't a clue why either of those
      movies worked; this project's only hope would be a director and
      scriptwriter who could present Milton's story dramatically without
      subverting its very old fashioned mores.

      > David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > Observe particularly the new discovery of what language Milton
      > wrote in.
      >> `"It's a 400-some-odd-page poem written in Old English,"

      I guess for some people the idea that it's old and in English
      inevitably becomes 'in Old English'. I'm surprised he got the part
      about it's being a poem right (I assume he has 'people' who told him
      that, since I doubt he's actually read it).

      --JDR

    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
        <<I guess for some people the idea that it's old and in English
        inevitably becomes 'in Old English'. >>
        That's exactly right. Just as in modern pop culture anything more than two centuries old (from when they wore "funny clothes") is automatically labeled "mediaeval". Last year I overheard a high school kid on the bus explaining that George Washington lived in the Middle Ages.
        AlexeiVisit Your Group
        Genre magazine
        Science fiction and fantasy
        Film genres
        Apprentice LA
        Who will be next?
        Play the Bix.com
        faceoff to see!
        Yahoo! Movies
        Up for a movie?
        Check out showtimes
        and buy tickets
        Yahoo! News
        Fashion News
        What's the word on
        fashion and style?.

      • Elizabeth Hardy
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
          It doesn't have to be that old. I've seen high school students write that we had slavery in the US until the 1960s when Martin Luther King freed the slaves! (One even placed this accomplishment shortly after his nailing the 95 thesis to the church door). Maybe a Paradise Lost movie will at least help my students understand a few allusions. I just taught Milton's "On his Blindness" in my lit survey class, and hardly any of my students recognized the parable of the talents, though most of them at least claim to be chuch goers. Their knowledge of mythology is even thinner. And they don't even know what they're missing! I pity them so for it.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
            The Belgium website TolkienLibrary.com has just posted a nice long
            interview with Diana about her new book. Anyone who's not yet picked
            up THE COMPANY THEY KEEP can find more reasons why doing so is a good
            idea here:

            http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/The_Company_They_Keep.php

            --JDR
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
              Also note a likewise good long interview with John Rateliff about his
              THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT, the picking up of which is likewise a fine
              idea.

              --MAF