Re: [mythsoc] Re: which biography?

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2007
      In a message dated 4/4/2007 10:51:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      This may be true (but I'm not entirely sure; see below). What's odd,
      though, is that of all the many critiques of Wilson's errors I've read,
      none but yours just now has made this argument. Most of the critics, as
      you've already noted, fall into the "death by a thousand cuts" approach.

      Also, a lot of the reaction to Wilson's book among long-time readers of
      Lewis was in reply to the way that mainstream literary outlets seemed to be
      giving a pass to Wilson. It was as though the mainstream reviewers had been
      saying, "Wilson writes very polished prose, has a major literary reputation, makes
      some snide comments that I find funny, and has a lot of glib opinions which
      fit my worldview already." The mainstream literary world seemed to be
      accepting Wilson and dismissing other opinion about Lewis because Wilson was one of
      their own. In reaction, long-time readers of Lewis dismissed Wilson because
      he wasn't one of their own.