Re: [mythsoc] Paradise Lost is discovered

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
      >From the April issue of the science-fiction newsletter Ansible. Time for
      >Milton fans to tremble as Tolkien and Lewis fans have been trembling.
      >Observe particularly the new discovery of what language Milton wrote in.
      >
      >>SPRINGTIME FOR LUCIFER. The _New York Times_ story about plans to film
      >>_Paradise Lost_ is full of tasty quotations, especially from the producer
      >>Vincent Newman. `"It's a 400-some-odd-page poem written in Old English,"
      >>he said, laughing. "How do you find the movie in that?"' But `if you get
      >>past the Milton of it all, and think about the greatest war that's ever
      >>been fought, the story itself is pretty compelling.' One must focus on
      >>essentials: `less Adam and Eve and more about what's happening with the
      >>archangels', since `In Eden there's the nudity problem ... which would
      >>be a big problem for a big studio movie.' Then there was `the studio
      >>executive who, halfway through the pitch, blurted: "Wait a minute. You
      >>mean God is God?"' As Vincent sums it up: `This could be like _The Lord
      >>of the Rings_, or bigger.' (_NY Times_, 4 March) [JB]

      Be afraid. Be very afraid.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
        On Apr 3, 2007, at 11:53 PM, Elizabeth Hardy wrote:
        > Maybe I can hope a few of the archangels wil pay a visit to these
        > people! I have always thought the Faerie Queene would make an
        > amazing series of movies (since I have written about both epic
        > poems' influence on Lewis). If a person could just get past the
        > language (which, thankfully, is not Old, nor even Middle English),
        > but now I'm hoping that the Hollywood types never hear of Edmund
        > Spenser. If they find out how much sex, violence, and opprtunity
        > for CGI wizardy are in FQ, the abuse may go on...

        In a better world, Chuck Jones would have done a Looney Tunes film
        adaptation of Book One of the Faerie Queene; Spenser's story is
        ideally suited to such an approach, and it would have broken the ice
        and let people read Spenser for the story and ignore the allegory.
        Alas for lost opportunities.

        > Poor Milton.

        You know, Milton was a pretty tough old bird (serving in Cromwell's
        revolutionary government wasn't for sissies). I think the filmmaker
        is trying to meld Jackson's LotR with Gibson's Passion of the Christ.
        But it's pretty clear the producer hasn't a clue why either of those
        movies worked; this project's only hope would be a director and
        scriptwriter who could present Milton's story dramatically without
        subverting its very old fashioned mores.

        > David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
        > Observe particularly the new discovery of what language Milton
        > wrote in.
        >> `"It's a 400-some-odd-page poem written in Old English,"

        I guess for some people the idea that it's old and in English
        inevitably becomes 'in Old English'. I'm surprised he got the part
        about it's being a poem right (I assume he has 'people' who told him
        that, since I doubt he's actually read it).

        --JDR

      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
          <<I guess for some people the idea that it's old and in English
          inevitably becomes 'in Old English'. >>
          That's exactly right. Just as in modern pop culture anything more than two centuries old (from when they wore "funny clothes") is automatically labeled "mediaeval". Last year I overheard a high school kid on the bus explaining that George Washington lived in the Middle Ages.
          AlexeiVisit Your Group
          Genre magazine
          Science fiction and fantasy
          Film genres
          Apprentice LA
          Who will be next?
          Play the Bix.com
          faceoff to see!
          Yahoo! Movies
          Up for a movie?
          Check out showtimes
          and buy tickets
          Yahoo! News
          Fashion News
          What's the word on
          fashion and style?.

        • Elizabeth Hardy
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
            It doesn't have to be that old. I've seen high school students write that we had slavery in the US until the 1960s when Martin Luther King freed the slaves! (One even placed this accomplishment shortly after his nailing the 95 thesis to the church door). Maybe a Paradise Lost movie will at least help my students understand a few allusions. I just taught Milton's "On his Blindness" in my lit survey class, and hardly any of my students recognized the parable of the talents, though most of them at least claim to be chuch goers. Their knowledge of mythology is even thinner. And they don't even know what they're missing! I pity them so for it.

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
              The Belgium website TolkienLibrary.com has just posted a nice long
              interview with Diana about her new book. Anyone who's not yet picked
              up THE COMPANY THEY KEEP can find more reasons why doing so is a good
              idea here:

              http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/The_Company_They_Keep.php

              --JDR
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
                Also note a likewise good long interview with John Rateliff about his
                THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT, the picking up of which is likewise a fine
                idea.

                --MAF