Summer reading

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3 8:31 PM
      Summer reading? Who has time for summer reading??? But kidding and more
      tedious Society obligations aside, I have read some good stuff lately:

      Patricia A. McKillip's new novel, _The Tower at Stony Wood_

      Another thoroughly enjoyable fantasy in the author's always elegant style,
      this one is McKillip's very original variation of Tennyson's poem, "The
      Lady of Shalott," which combines the tower, mirror and needlework imagery
      quite nicely.

      Liza Dalby's _The Tale of Murasaki_

      Not exactly fantasy, an epistolary biographical novel telling the story of
      Lady Murasaki, a court lady of Heian Japan who wrote what is considered to
      be the first novel, _The Tale of Genji_. The author is a cultural
      anthropologist specializing in the period; I attended a talk she gave in a
      local (SF) bookstore about a month ago.

      Kaje Baker, _Sky Coyote_

      A bit bizarre but fun: futuristic time travellers in early California.
      Well, it's a lot more complicated than that, really...

      More...

      As Mythopoeic Awards administrator, I've been trying to read as many of the
      finalists as possible in all categories. My favorite of the children's
      fiction books is Franny Billingsley's _The Folk Keeper_ (which I reviewed
      for Mythprint a month or so ago). I also liked David Almond's _Skellig_ and
      Pierce's "Circle of Magic" books, but was underwhelmed by the Voigt series,
      which did not strike me as at all mythopoeic.

      My favorites on the adult list are probably Beagle's _Tamsin_ and Lisa
      Goldstein's _Dark Cities Underground_. We just may have to do a Bay Area
      fantasy tour as part of next year's Berkeley Mythcon, and include BART.

      I've got LOTR on the table beside my bed; good for a short chapter before
      sleep as I know how the story comes out ....

      But I'm currently reading James Ellroy's _L.A. Confidential_ as I needed a
      change of genre. And I'm taking Neal Stephenson's _Cryptonomicon_ and
      Isabella Bird's _Six Months in the Sandwich Islands_ with me on my family
      visit trip next week.

      Cheers,

      Ellie
      Eleanor M. Farrell