Re: Paradise Lost is discovered

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4 12:06 AM
      >David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      >From the April issue of the science-fiction newsletter
      Ansible... "One must focus on essentials: 'less Adam and Eve and more
      about what's happening with the archangels', since 'In Eden there's
      the nudity problem...'"

      Funny stuff. Horace Jeffery Hodges of Kyung Hee University in Seoul,
      a regularly blogging Miltonist who sometimes comments on Tolkien, as
      here:

      http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2005/11/futhark-futhorc-and-
      wapentake.html

      had some interesting thoughts about this film adaptation:

      http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2007/03/paradise-lost-movie.html

      -Merlin
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4 8:05 AM
        >From the April issue of the science-fiction newsletter Ansible. Time for
        >Milton fans to tremble as Tolkien and Lewis fans have been trembling.
        >Observe particularly the new discovery of what language Milton wrote in.
        >
        >>SPRINGTIME FOR LUCIFER. The _New York Times_ story about plans to film
        >>_Paradise Lost_ is full of tasty quotations, especially from the producer
        >>Vincent Newman. `"It's a 400-some-odd-page poem written in Old English,"
        >>he said, laughing. "How do you find the movie in that?"' But `if you get
        >>past the Milton of it all, and think about the greatest war that's ever
        >>been fought, the story itself is pretty compelling.' One must focus on
        >>essentials: `less Adam and Eve and more about what's happening with the
        >>archangels', since `In Eden there's the nudity problem ... which would
        >>be a big problem for a big studio movie.' Then there was `the studio
        >>executive who, halfway through the pitch, blurted: "Wait a minute. You
        >>mean God is God?"' As Vincent sums it up: `This could be like _The Lord
        >>of the Rings_, or bigger.' (_NY Times_, 4 March) [JB]

        Be afraid. Be very afraid.

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4 10:09 AM
          On Apr 3, 2007, at 11:53 PM, Elizabeth Hardy wrote:
          > Maybe I can hope a few of the archangels wil pay a visit to these
          > people! I have always thought the Faerie Queene would make an
          > amazing series of movies (since I have written about both epic
          > poems' influence on Lewis). If a person could just get past the
          > language (which, thankfully, is not Old, nor even Middle English),
          > but now I'm hoping that the Hollywood types never hear of Edmund
          > Spenser. If they find out how much sex, violence, and opprtunity
          > for CGI wizardy are in FQ, the abuse may go on...

          In a better world, Chuck Jones would have done a Looney Tunes film
          adaptation of Book One of the Faerie Queene; Spenser's story is
          ideally suited to such an approach, and it would have broken the ice
          and let people read Spenser for the story and ignore the allegory.
          Alas for lost opportunities.

          > Poor Milton.

          You know, Milton was a pretty tough old bird (serving in Cromwell's
          revolutionary government wasn't for sissies). I think the filmmaker
          is trying to meld Jackson's LotR with Gibson's Passion of the Christ.
          But it's pretty clear the producer hasn't a clue why either of those
          movies worked; this project's only hope would be a director and
          scriptwriter who could present Milton's story dramatically without
          subverting its very old fashioned mores.

          > David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
          > Observe particularly the new discovery of what language Milton
          > wrote in.
          >> `"It's a 400-some-odd-page poem written in Old English,"

          I guess for some people the idea that it's old and in English
          inevitably becomes 'in Old English'. I'm surprised he got the part
          about it's being a poem right (I assume he has 'people' who told him
          that, since I doubt he's actually read it).

          --JDR

        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4 10:23 AM
            <<I guess for some people the idea that it's old and in English
            inevitably becomes 'in Old English'. >>
            That's exactly right. Just as in modern pop culture anything more than two centuries old (from when they wore "funny clothes") is automatically labeled "mediaeval". Last year I overheard a high school kid on the bus explaining that George Washington lived in the Middle Ages.
            AlexeiVisit Your Group
            Genre magazine
            Science fiction and fantasy
            Film genres
            Apprentice LA
            Who will be next?
            Play the Bix.com
            faceoff to see!
            Yahoo! Movies
            Up for a movie?
            Check out showtimes
            and buy tickets
            Yahoo! News
            Fashion News
            What's the word on
            fashion and style?.

          • Elizabeth Hardy
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4 4:18 PM
              It doesn't have to be that old. I've seen high school students write that we had slavery in the US until the 1960s when Martin Luther King freed the slaves! (One even placed this accomplishment shortly after his nailing the 95 thesis to the church door). Maybe a Paradise Lost movie will at least help my students understand a few allusions. I just taught Milton's "On his Blindness" in my lit survey class, and hardly any of my students recognized the parable of the talents, though most of them at least claim to be chuch goers. Their knowledge of mythology is even thinner. And they don't even know what they're missing! I pity them so for it.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5 9:49 AM
                The Belgium website TolkienLibrary.com has just posted a nice long
                interview with Diana about her new book. Anyone who's not yet picked
                up THE COMPANY THEY KEEP can find more reasons why doing so is a good
                idea here:

                http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/The_Company_They_Keep.php

                --JDR
              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5 11:21 AM
                  Also note a likewise good long interview with John Rateliff about his
                  THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT, the picking up of which is likewise a fine
                  idea.

                  --MAF