Re: Shameless Shakespearean Self-Promotion?

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30 1:25 PM
      "...and yet there is a virtuous man whom I
      have often noted in thy company, but I know not his name....

      A goodly portly man, i' faith, and a corpulent; of a
      cheerful look, a pleasing eye and a most noble
      carriage; and, as I think, his age some fifty, or,
      by'r lady, inclining to three score; and now I
      remember me, his name is Falstaff: if that man
      should be lewdly given, he deceiveth me; for, Harry,
      I see virtue in his looks. If then the tree may be
      known by the fruit, as the fruit by the tree, then,
      peremptorily I speak it, there is virtue in that
      Falstaff: him keep with, the rest banish."

      (Falstaff, in _Henry IV, Part One_, II,3)

      No doubt others here could come up with something more apt.

      Congratulations, Janet! I quite enjoyed hearing three of those
      papers last August at Mythcon, and look forward to buying this book.

      -Merlin

      >"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
      > Here you go...
      > How "All That Glisters Is Not Gold" Became "All That Is Gold Does
      Not Glitter": Aragorn's Debt to Shakespeare (Judith Kollmann)
      > Merlin, Prospero, Saruman and Gandalf: Corrosive Uses of Power in
      Shakespeare and Tolkien (Frank P. Riga)
      > Hidden in Plain View: Strategizing Unconventionality in
      Shakespeare's and Tolkien's Portraits of Women (Maureen Thum)
    • Cristina A. Montes
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007

        > The long awaited (at least by the contributors!) _Tolkien and
        > Shakespeare_ arrived on my doorstep yesterday, fortunately well-wrapped
        > in plastic. Looks great! Those of you who enjoyed the panel on
        > Shakespeare at the last Mythcon, or the Shakespeare-themed Mythcon in
        > Colorado a few years ago, will recognize a few of the papers. It's a
        > paperback, alas, but that means the price is reasonable. Hope you all
        > enjoy it! I certainly enjoyed putting it together.
        >

        > http://www.amazon.com/Tolkien-Shakespeare-Language-Critical-Explorations
        > /dp/0786428279/ref=sr_1_1/103-3067513-7742260?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=117526
        > 2680&sr=8-1

        Omigosh! Shakespeare and Tolkien! Two of my favorite writers in just
        one book! This is definitely on my wish list!
      • Diane Joy Baker
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
          Wow! This sounds wonderful!
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
            Thanks! I'm pretty proud of all the contributors!

            And by the way, the Spring 2007 Mythlore is going to press next week!

            Janet