RE: [mythsoc] Re: Shameless Self-Promotion!

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
      Thanks! Frank's piece is one of the stronger ones in the collection, I
      think, with a lot of cross-over interest for pure Shakespeare scholars.
      His connection of Prospero to the Merlin tradition is quite convincing!
      I'm glad to get Dan's paper in print, too - it had a great deal of
      influence on my work on Tolkien and war when I first heard it at
      Mythcon. The book is dedicated to his memory.

      Janet

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
        "...and yet there is a virtuous man whom I
        have often noted in thy company, but I know not his name....

        A goodly portly man, i' faith, and a corpulent; of a
        cheerful look, a pleasing eye and a most noble
        carriage; and, as I think, his age some fifty, or,
        by'r lady, inclining to three score; and now I
        remember me, his name is Falstaff: if that man
        should be lewdly given, he deceiveth me; for, Harry,
        I see virtue in his looks. If then the tree may be
        known by the fruit, as the fruit by the tree, then,
        peremptorily I speak it, there is virtue in that
        Falstaff: him keep with, the rest banish."

        (Falstaff, in _Henry IV, Part One_, II,3)

        No doubt others here could come up with something more apt.

        Congratulations, Janet! I quite enjoyed hearing three of those
        papers last August at Mythcon, and look forward to buying this book.

        -Merlin

        >"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
        > Here you go...
        > How "All That Glisters Is Not Gold" Became "All That Is Gold Does
        Not Glitter": Aragorn's Debt to Shakespeare (Judith Kollmann)
        > Merlin, Prospero, Saruman and Gandalf: Corrosive Uses of Power in
        Shakespeare and Tolkien (Frank P. Riga)
        > Hidden in Plain View: Strategizing Unconventionality in
        Shakespeare's and Tolkien's Portraits of Women (Maureen Thum)
      • Cristina A. Montes
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007

          > The long awaited (at least by the contributors!) _Tolkien and
          > Shakespeare_ arrived on my doorstep yesterday, fortunately well-wrapped
          > in plastic. Looks great! Those of you who enjoyed the panel on
          > Shakespeare at the last Mythcon, or the Shakespeare-themed Mythcon in
          > Colorado a few years ago, will recognize a few of the papers. It's a
          > paperback, alas, but that means the price is reasonable. Hope you all
          > enjoy it! I certainly enjoyed putting it together.
          >

          > http://www.amazon.com/Tolkien-Shakespeare-Language-Critical-Explorations
          > /dp/0786428279/ref=sr_1_1/103-3067513-7742260?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=117526
          > 2680&sr=8-1

          Omigosh! Shakespeare and Tolkien! Two of my favorite writers in just
          one book! This is definitely on my wish list!
        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
            Wow! This sounds wonderful!
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
              Thanks! I'm pretty proud of all the contributors!

              And by the way, the Spring 2007 Mythlore is going to press next week!

              Janet