Re: Shameless Self-Promotion!

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
      Thanks for sending. This looks like a very interesting collection.

      I was definitely hoping Frank Riga's (much abridged) piece from the last Mythcon would be here, and it is. It's also nice to see a contribution from the late Daniel Timmons. And I recently had cause to cite your own article on the Macbeth / Birnam Wood / Fangorn connection, but I cited its first appearance (in Seven). Now that your collection has officially appeared, I'll update my bibliography. :)

      Looking forward to reading the whole thing ...

      Jason

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
        Thanks! Frank's piece is one of the stronger ones in the collection, I
        think, with a lot of cross-over interest for pure Shakespeare scholars.
        His connection of Prospero to the Merlin tradition is quite convincing!
        I'm glad to get Dan's paper in print, too - it had a great deal of
        influence on my work on Tolkien and war when I first heard it at
        Mythcon. The book is dedicated to his memory.

        Janet

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
          "...and yet there is a virtuous man whom I
          have often noted in thy company, but I know not his name....

          A goodly portly man, i' faith, and a corpulent; of a
          cheerful look, a pleasing eye and a most noble
          carriage; and, as I think, his age some fifty, or,
          by'r lady, inclining to three score; and now I
          remember me, his name is Falstaff: if that man
          should be lewdly given, he deceiveth me; for, Harry,
          I see virtue in his looks. If then the tree may be
          known by the fruit, as the fruit by the tree, then,
          peremptorily I speak it, there is virtue in that
          Falstaff: him keep with, the rest banish."

          (Falstaff, in _Henry IV, Part One_, II,3)

          No doubt others here could come up with something more apt.

          Congratulations, Janet! I quite enjoyed hearing three of those
          papers last August at Mythcon, and look forward to buying this book.

          -Merlin

          >"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
          > Here you go...
          > How "All That Glisters Is Not Gold" Became "All That Is Gold Does
          Not Glitter": Aragorn's Debt to Shakespeare (Judith Kollmann)
          > Merlin, Prospero, Saruman and Gandalf: Corrosive Uses of Power in
          Shakespeare and Tolkien (Frank P. Riga)
          > Hidden in Plain View: Strategizing Unconventionality in
          Shakespeare's and Tolkien's Portraits of Women (Maureen Thum)
        • Cristina A. Montes
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007

            > The long awaited (at least by the contributors!) _Tolkien and
            > Shakespeare_ arrived on my doorstep yesterday, fortunately well-wrapped
            > in plastic. Looks great! Those of you who enjoyed the panel on
            > Shakespeare at the last Mythcon, or the Shakespeare-themed Mythcon in
            > Colorado a few years ago, will recognize a few of the papers. It's a
            > paperback, alas, but that means the price is reasonable. Hope you all
            > enjoy it! I certainly enjoyed putting it together.
            >

            > http://www.amazon.com/Tolkien-Shakespeare-Language-Critical-Explorations
            > /dp/0786428279/ref=sr_1_1/103-3067513-7742260?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=117526
            > 2680&sr=8-1

            Omigosh! Shakespeare and Tolkien! Two of my favorite writers in just
            one book! This is definitely on my wish list!
          • Diane Joy Baker
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
              Wow! This sounds wonderful!
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2007
                Thanks! I'm pretty proud of all the contributors!

                And by the way, the Spring 2007 Mythlore is going to press next week!

                Janet