Shameless Self-Promotion!

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
      The long awaited (at least by the contributors!) _Tolkien and
      Shakespeare_ arrived on my doorstep yesterday, fortunately well-wrapped
      in plastic. Looks great! Those of you who enjoyed the panel on
      Shakespeare at the last Mythcon, or the Shakespeare-themed Mythcon in
      Colorado a few years ago, will recognize a few of the papers. It's a
      paperback, alas, but that means the price is reasonable. Hope you all
      enjoy it! I certainly enjoyed putting it together.

      http://www.amazon.com/Tolkien-Shakespeare-Language-Critical-Explorations
      /dp/0786428279/ref=sr_1_1/103-3067513-7742260?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=117526
      2680&sr=8-1

      (Don't forget to help the society by going through the Amazon link at
      mythsoc.org to make your purchases!)

      Janet

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/

      Editor of Oklahoma Librarian
      http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html

      "There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as the Free
      Public Library, this republic of letters, where neither rank, office,
      nor wealth receives the slightest consideration." -Andrew Carnegie,
      industrialist (1835-1919)

    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
        Janet B. Croft wrote:
        > The long awaited (at least by the contributors! ) Tolkien
        > and Shakespeare arrived on my doorstep yesterday,
        > fortunately well-wrapped in plastic. Looks great! Those of
        > you who enjoyed the panel on Shakespeare at the last
        > Mythcon, or the Shakespeare- themed Mythcon in
        > Colorado a few years ago, will recognize a few of the
        > papers. It's a paperback, alas, but that means the price
        > is reasonable. Hope you all enjoy it! I certainly enjoyed
        > putting it together.

        Congratulations, Janet! Say, what about posting a Table of Contents for us, since there isn't one on Amazon? Or sending us a link, if a ToC exists somewhere else. I'm very interested in seeing the topics and contributors.

        Jason

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
          Here you go!

          Tolkien and Shakespeare: Essays on Shared Themes and Language

          Table of Contents

          Introduction: Janet Brennan Croft

          Faërie

          Clashing Mythologies: The Elves of Shakespeare and Tolkien: Allegra Johnston

          "How Now, Spirit! Wither Wander You?" Diminution: The Shakespearean Misconception and the Tolkienian Ideal of Faërie: Jessica Burke

          Just a Little Bit Fey: What's at the Bottom of The Lord of the Rings and A Midsummer Night's Dream?: Rebecca-Anne C. Do Rozario.

          "Perilously Fair": Titania, Galadriel, and the Fairy Queen of Medieval Romance: Romuald Ian Lakowski

          Power

          "We Few, We Happy Few:" War and Glory in Henry V and The Lord of the Rings: Daniel Timmons

          The Person of a Prince: Echoes of Hamlet in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings: Kayla McKinney Wiggins

          How "All That Glisters Is Not Gold" Became "All That Is Gold Does Not Glitter": Aragorn's Debt to Shakespeare: Judith Kollmann

          "The Shadow of Succession": Shakespeare, Tolkien and the Conception of History: Annalisa Castaldo

          "The Rack of this Tough World": The Influence of King Lear on Lord of the Rings: Leigh Smith

          Shakespearean Catharsis in the Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien: Anne C. Petty

          Magic

          Prospero's Books, Gandalf's Staff: The Ethics of Magic in Shakespeare and Tolkien: Nicholas Ozment

          Merlin, Prospero, Saruman and Gandalf: Corrosive Uses of Power in Shakespeare and Tolkien: Frank P. Riga

          "Bid the Tree Unfix His Earthbound Root": Motifs from Macbeth in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings: Janet Brennan Croft

          The Other

          Hidden in Plain View: Strategizing Unconventionality in Shakespeare's and Tolkien's Portraits of Women:

          Maureen Thum

          Something is Stirring in the East: Racial Identity, Confronting the "Other," and Miscegenation in Othello and The Lord of the Rings: Robert Gehl

          Self-Cursed, Night-fearers, and Usurpers: Tolkien's Atani and Shakespeare's Men: Anna Fåhraeus

          Gollum and Caliban: Evolution and Design: Lisa Hopkins

          Of Two Minds: Gollum and Othello: Charles Keim

          AND a laboriously detailed index, I'll have you know!

          Janet

        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
            Thanks for sending. This looks like a very interesting collection.

            I was definitely hoping Frank Riga's (much abridged) piece from the last Mythcon would be here, and it is. It's also nice to see a contribution from the late Daniel Timmons. And I recently had cause to cite your own article on the Macbeth / Birnam Wood / Fangorn connection, but I cited its first appearance (in Seven). Now that your collection has officially appeared, I'll update my bibliography. :)

            Looking forward to reading the whole thing ...

            Jason

          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
              Thanks! Frank's piece is one of the stronger ones in the collection, I
              think, with a lot of cross-over interest for pure Shakespeare scholars.
              His connection of Prospero to the Merlin tradition is quite convincing!
              I'm glad to get Dan's paper in print, too - it had a great deal of
              influence on my work on Tolkien and war when I first heard it at
              Mythcon. The book is dedicated to his memory.

              Janet

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 30, 2007
                "...and yet there is a virtuous man whom I
                have often noted in thy company, but I know not his name....

                A goodly portly man, i' faith, and a corpulent; of a
                cheerful look, a pleasing eye and a most noble
                carriage; and, as I think, his age some fifty, or,
                by'r lady, inclining to three score; and now I
                remember me, his name is Falstaff: if that man
                should be lewdly given, he deceiveth me; for, Harry,
                I see virtue in his looks. If then the tree may be
                known by the fruit, as the fruit by the tree, then,
                peremptorily I speak it, there is virtue in that
                Falstaff: him keep with, the rest banish."

                (Falstaff, in _Henry IV, Part One_, II,3)

                No doubt others here could come up with something more apt.

                Congratulations, Janet! I quite enjoyed hearing three of those
                papers last August at Mythcon, and look forward to buying this book.

                -Merlin

                >"Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:
                > Here you go...
                > How "All That Glisters Is Not Gold" Became "All That Is Gold Does
                Not Glitter": Aragorn's Debt to Shakespeare (Judith Kollmann)
                > Merlin, Prospero, Saruman and Gandalf: Corrosive Uses of Power in
                Shakespeare and Tolkien (Frank P. Riga)
                > Hidden in Plain View: Strategizing Unconventionality in
                Shakespeare's and Tolkien's Portraits of Women (Maureen Thum)
              • Cristina A. Montes
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1 12:24 AM

                  > The long awaited (at least by the contributors!) _Tolkien and
                  > Shakespeare_ arrived on my doorstep yesterday, fortunately well-wrapped
                  > in plastic. Looks great! Those of you who enjoyed the panel on
                  > Shakespeare at the last Mythcon, or the Shakespeare-themed Mythcon in
                  > Colorado a few years ago, will recognize a few of the papers. It's a
                  > paperback, alas, but that means the price is reasonable. Hope you all
                  > enjoy it! I certainly enjoyed putting it together.
                  >

                  > http://www.amazon.com/Tolkien-Shakespeare-Language-Critical-Explorations
                  > /dp/0786428279/ref=sr_1_1/103-3067513-7742260?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=117526
                  > 2680&sr=8-1

                  Omigosh! Shakespeare and Tolkien! Two of my favorite writers in just
                  one book! This is definitely on my wish list!
                • Diane Joy Baker

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4 8:58 AM
                      Thanks! I'm pretty proud of all the contributors!

                      And by the way, the Spring 2007 Mythlore is going to press next week!

                      Janet