Re: [mythsoc] Which Lewis Biography

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
      In a message dated 3/29/2007 3:38:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      Until such time as somebody gives me a big enough advance that I can
      quit my job for a couple of years and write the definitive Lewis biography,
      you'll have to make do with what's available.

      And, in the meantime, perhaps someone can fix whatever caused the Yahoo
      listserver to send me three copies of my last post? I'm glad to see things that
      I wrote get such huge distribution, but I was thinking of having many people
      read my writings, not having some people have to read my post several times.
      Did other people get multiple copies of my last post?

    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
        I heard from my husband that his Yahoo slide rule list exploded this
        morning, sending up to 20 copies of the same message, so I think it's at
        Yahoo's end...

        Janet

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
          On Mar 29, 2007, at 10:22 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

          > I heard from my husband that his Yahoo slide rule list exploded this
          > morning,

          I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing:

          "There's a Yahoo SLIDE RULE list?!?!"

          Carl

          (Who runs a Yahoo Pretend Fairy Language list...)
        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
            I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing:

            "There's a Yahoo SLIDE RULE list?!?!"

            Carl

            A very active list, actually! In fact I recently accompanied Duane to a
            slide rule collectors' meeting in Dallas, where he came in third in the
            Fastest Slide Rule in the West competition. (Of course, there were only
            three entrants...)

            Janet

          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
              And, in the meantime, perhaps someone can fix whatever caused the Yahoo
              listserver to send me three copies of my last post? I'm glad to see things that
              I wrote get such huge distribution, but I was thinking of having many people
              read my writings, not having some people have to read my post several times.
              Did other people get multiple copies of my last post?

              Wendell Wagner

              <<
              I've been getting multiple copies of every post from yahoogroups, and I suspect it's an AOL problem, as usual.
              AlexeiRecent Activity
              1New Members
              Visit Your Group
              Genre magazine
              Science fiction and fantasy
              Film genres
              Apprentice LA
              Who will be next?
              Play the Bix.com
              faceoff to see!
              Yahoo! Movies
              Staying in tonight?
              Check out new DVDs
              and read reviews.
              Yahoo! News
              Most Popular News
              What's the most
              popular news now?.

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 31, 2007
                At 09:18 AM 3/28/2007 -0500, David Lenander wrote:

                >Someone,
                >likely David Bratman, in a review listed a devastatingly long list of
                >minor errors in Wilson, many so easily corrected with minor checking
                >that any confidence that the reader can have in any of the book's
                >assertions must be undercut.

                It certainly wasn't me. Wilson's minor inaccuracies, though numerous, seem
                to me to be petty sloppiness and to shed very little light on whether he's
                right or wrong about larger issues. The two aren't really connected. Some
                of the best big-picture people are sloppy on facts, though a really good
                one would get someone to check his facts. But Wilson's critics do have a
                tendency to frantically seize on the litany of minor errors, exaggerate
                their significance and the degree to which they are erroneous, and wave
                them around as final proof of his worthlessness. It doesn't really follow.

                >The affair of Lewis and Mrs. Moore seems to me
                >so likely that those who claim it's controversial or in doubt or a
                >point of debate in Wilson's book are being, themselves, willfully or
                >wishfully innocent.

                The affair seems far likelier than not, and its existence would explain a
                lot about Lewis, but a fair appraisal must include that it's absolutely
                unproven and is sheer guesswork.

                >But the real problem is that Wilson is so convinced that
                >it IS very important, and that he is so dedicated to debunking the CSL
                >worship that he sees in Kay Lindskoog and, I suppose, Walter Hooper
                >(how would they like being put together?) that he loses sight of his
                >real subject.

                Which makes Wilson unsuitable as the default biography, but not as a
                contribution to the discussion. Some of Wilson's critics profess
                bewilderment at his claim of Lewis-worship by the likes of Lindskoog and
                Hooper, but it's quite plainly there.

                >For most of us in the MythSoc, the
                >most important and best books on the subject are Lewis's own _Surprised
                >by Joy_ and Carpenter's _The Inklings_, which is essentially a bio of
                >the CSL in whom we're most interested.

                Surprised by Joy is an excellently-written book, and too often overlooked
                as a biography, but it's very limited and partial in its view (not a
                criticism, just a statement of fact). And Carpenter's Inklings is far
                better about the group than it is about the individual members. I used to
                reluctantly recommend Sayer as the best Lewis biography for a person who
                just wants to read one, but my recommendation for that purpose is now
                wholly given over to Jacobs's The Narnian.

                David Bratman