Re: [mythsoc] Which Lewis Biography

  • Elizabeth Hardy
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
      I also found They Stand Together to be enormously helpful. For one thing, it debunked Sayer's fantastic claim that Lewis had initially read the entire Faerie Queene at a sitting (a Herculean task even for such an amazing reader.) By reading Lewis's letters to Arthur Greeves, I was able to see his regular reports on his progress through the poem's books, which actually took many weeks. Then again, he was only reading it for fun, as a break from his "serious" reading at Great Bookham!

      David Lenander <d-lena@...> wrote: For a while I thought, like John, that the Wilson bio was the best.
      And it is, on a number of levels. Probably the best-written, the only
      one that observes certain conventions of the form, the only one to
      really consider some (less-positive) aspects of its subject. But there
      are a couple of major failings, and I actually prefer the Sayer, maybe
      only because I share some of its sympathy for the subject. Someone,
      likely David Bratman, in a review listed a devastatingly long list of
      minor errors in Wilson, many so easily corrected with minor checking
      that any confidence that the reader can have in any of the book's
      assertions must be undercut. (At the same time, it's not that I have
      any doubt that overall the book is accurate and right about most of
      what it says). Beyond this, there are several clear misunderstandings
      or misreadings on Wilson's part that seem almost willful
      misunderstandings of CSL. (I'm almost certain that the most notorious
      of these has been discussed a couple of times on this list, go back and
      check the backfiles). The affair of Lewis and Mrs. Moore seems to me
      so likely that those who claim it's controversial or in doubt or a
      point of debate in Wilson's book are being, themselves, willfully or
      wishfully innocent. It is an example of the problem with some of the
      other CSL biography, that this should be a debatable point in the
      Wilson bio. But the real problem is that Wilson is so convinced that
      it IS very important, and that he is so dedicated to debunking the CSL
      worship that he sees in Kay Lindskoog and, I suppose, Walter Hooper
      (how would they like being put together?) that he loses sight of his
      real subject. It's not as bad as the notorious bio-critical book about
      the Skeleton in the Wardrobe by any means, but it errs in the other
      direction, and in fact I think everyone seriously interested in CSL
      should read both Wilson and Sayer. For most of us in the MythSoc, the
      most important and best books on the subject are Lewis's own _Surprised
      by Joy_ and Carpenter's _The Inklings_, which is essentially a bio of
      the CSL in whom we're most interested. For some months I've been
      reading and enjoying _They Stand Together_, a few letters at a time
      (this is a collection of CSL's letters to his dear friend from his
      youth, back in Ireland), and it might be that this is more valuable
      than most biographies, too. I imagine that this is even more true of
      the collected letters, which I have not read.

      My two cents.

      David Lenander
      d-lena@...
      2095 Hamline Ave. N.
      Roseville, MN 55113
      651-292-8887

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
        In a message dated 3/29/2007 3:38:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        WendellWag@... writes:

        Until such time as somebody gives me a big enough advance that I can
        quit my job for a couple of years and write the definitive Lewis biography,
        you'll have to make do with what's available.

        And, in the meantime, perhaps someone can fix whatever caused the Yahoo
        listserver to send me three copies of my last post? I'm glad to see things that
        I wrote get such huge distribution, but I was thinking of having many people
        read my writings, not having some people have to read my post several times.
        Did other people get multiple copies of my last post?

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
          I heard from my husband that his Yahoo slide rule list exploded this
          morning, sending up to 20 copies of the same message, so I think it's at
          Yahoo's end...

          Janet

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
            On Mar 29, 2007, at 10:22 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

            > I heard from my husband that his Yahoo slide rule list exploded this
            > morning,

            I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing:

            "There's a Yahoo SLIDE RULE list?!?!"

            Carl

            (Who runs a Yahoo Pretend Fairy Language list...)
          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
              I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing:

              "There's a Yahoo SLIDE RULE list?!?!"

              Carl

              A very active list, actually! In fact I recently accompanied Duane to a
              slide rule collectors' meeting in Dallas, where he came in third in the
              Fastest Slide Rule in the West competition. (Of course, there were only
              three entrants...)

              Janet

            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 29, 2007
                And, in the meantime, perhaps someone can fix whatever caused the Yahoo
                listserver to send me three copies of my last post? I'm glad to see things that
                I wrote get such huge distribution, but I was thinking of having many people
                read my writings, not having some people have to read my post several times.
                Did other people get multiple copies of my last post?

                Wendell Wagner

                <<
                I've been getting multiple copies of every post from yahoogroups, and I suspect it's an AOL problem, as usual.
                AlexeiRecent Activity
                1New Members
                Visit Your Group
                Genre magazine
                Science fiction and fantasy
                Film genres
                Apprentice LA
                Who will be next?
                Play the Bix.com
                faceoff to see!
                Yahoo! Movies
                Staying in tonight?
                Check out new DVDs
                and read reviews.
                Yahoo! News
                Most Popular News
                What's the most
                popular news now?.

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 31, 2007
                  At 09:18 AM 3/28/2007 -0500, David Lenander wrote:

                  >Someone,
                  >likely David Bratman, in a review listed a devastatingly long list of
                  >minor errors in Wilson, many so easily corrected with minor checking
                  >that any confidence that the reader can have in any of the book's
                  >assertions must be undercut.

                  It certainly wasn't me. Wilson's minor inaccuracies, though numerous, seem
                  to me to be petty sloppiness and to shed very little light on whether he's
                  right or wrong about larger issues. The two aren't really connected. Some
                  of the best big-picture people are sloppy on facts, though a really good
                  one would get someone to check his facts. But Wilson's critics do have a
                  tendency to frantically seize on the litany of minor errors, exaggerate
                  their significance and the degree to which they are erroneous, and wave
                  them around as final proof of his worthlessness. It doesn't really follow.

                  >The affair of Lewis and Mrs. Moore seems to me
                  >so likely that those who claim it's controversial or in doubt or a
                  >point of debate in Wilson's book are being, themselves, willfully or
                  >wishfully innocent.

                  The affair seems far likelier than not, and its existence would explain a
                  lot about Lewis, but a fair appraisal must include that it's absolutely
                  unproven and is sheer guesswork.

                  >But the real problem is that Wilson is so convinced that
                  >it IS very important, and that he is so dedicated to debunking the CSL
                  >worship that he sees in Kay Lindskoog and, I suppose, Walter Hooper
                  >(how would they like being put together?) that he loses sight of his
                  >real subject.

                  Which makes Wilson unsuitable as the default biography, but not as a
                  contribution to the discussion. Some of Wilson's critics profess
                  bewilderment at his claim of Lewis-worship by the likes of Lindskoog and
                  Hooper, but it's quite plainly there.

                  >For most of us in the MythSoc, the
                  >most important and best books on the subject are Lewis's own _Surprised
                  >by Joy_ and Carpenter's _The Inklings_, which is essentially a bio of
                  >the CSL in whom we're most interested.

                  Surprised by Joy is an excellently-written book, and too often overlooked
                  as a biography, but it's very limited and partial in its view (not a
                  criticism, just a statement of fact). And Carpenter's Inklings is far
                  better about the group than it is about the individual members. I used to
                  reluctantly recommend Sayer as the best Lewis biography for a person who
                  just wants to read one, but my recommendation for that purpose is now
                  wholly given over to Jacobs's The Narnian.

                  David Bratman