"Friend of C.S. Lewis shares stories"

  • Elena Rossi
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28 4:04 AM
      I found this nice article on-line today, and I though
      it might be interesting...
      http://tinyurl.com/32ottd

      Regards
      Elena

      8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
    • Linda DeMars
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28 8:24 AM
        Speaking from my observations as a teacher of small children, I was
        struck by the description of Gollum's childhood and youth. I would
        venture the suggestion that his behavior might fall within the whole
        spectrum of Autism. The obsession with the ring- when the children I
        have know wanted an object or to do something, they could not be
        distracted or reasoned with, another object could not be substituted,
        and, since many of these children do not really see other people as
        "people", others are considered obstacles in the path between the
        child and the desired object (example, the murder of Deagol- Smeagol
        see the ring, he wants it, Deagol refuses to give it, so Smeagol
        kills him - no regrets that we see)

        I am not sure of any links between this syndrome and his adult
        behavior since I have more experience observing autism in children. I
        have noticed some of the young adults I know seem to be less able to
        cope with details of daily living as they get older. (One young man
        was "trained" by a person hired by a rehab agency to make sandwiches
        but he was unable to translate this skill into daily living and
        consequently his mother still has to make his lunch everyday). The
        food quirks (fish must be raw, lembas is distasteful or corrosive)
        point toward some mental problems, although he could have developed
        an extremely sensitive esophagus perhaps even a precancerous
        deterioration; the extreme sensitivity to light (especially the sun)
        might indicate some problem with eyes - cataracts glaucoma ?; the
        bulging eyes and extreme thinness and scanty hair does occur in
        untreated hyperthyroidism (I think the one where the person gains
        weight and gets sluggish is hypothyroidism).

        Fascinating topic.

        Linda C. DeMars