RE: George Sayer's biography

  • jchristopher
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27 2:46 PM
      By the way, the new edition of George Sayer's _Jack_ with the Lyle Dorsett
      introduction does _not_ have Sayer's introduction to the 3rd edition in which
      he changed his evaluation of a 50-50 chance to an affair to almost certainly,
      with an explanation of why he changed. --Joe

      P.S. For what it's worth, I think the Sayer biography is the best. It's got
      a few mistakes, but fewer than the other two, I think. (I have the second
      edition of Wilson biography, but I haven't read it to see how many of his
      errors he corrects.) For an interpretative biography (with only a minimum of
      new material), _The Narnian_ isn't bad.

      >As for Janie Moore, there is evidence that prior to Lewis's conversion, they
      >did have an affair. Sayers and Moore's daughter very much suspected one. When
      >Lewis became a Christian, there is every indication that the affair ceased,
      >though Janie Moore remained a part of his household until very near her
      death.

      >Joan Marie Verba
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27 3:10 PM
        > For an interpretative biography (with only a minimum of
        > new material), _The Narnian_ isn't bad.

        I have a copy of that as well, but it's an ARC and so doesn't have an index. Ack!

        The Sayer's biography sounds good, too; I'll keep an eye out for a used copy.

        Jason
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27 3:10 PM