Re: [mythsoc] Re: Recent Fantasy

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
      In a message dated 07/03/2000 2:10:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, qiena@...
      writes:

      << I remember throwing that last installment of
      Martin's on the floor when I realized he was going to leave me dangling in
      midair. >>
      Hee hee. What about _The Mirror of Her Dreams_? LOL Author familiar but
      temporarily forgotten.

      Lizzie
    • LSolarion@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2000
        In a message dated 07/03/2000 11:10:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, qiena@...
        writes:

        << I remember throwing that last installment of
        Martin's on the floor when I realized he was going to leave me dangling in
        midair. At least other series I've read have been somewhat self-contained,
        leaving just enough yearning for the next part without the frustration.

        Sharon >>

        I felt the same way when I read _Lawmaker's War_ (I think that's right...it
        was Lawmaker's something...won't it be great when we're no longer old and
        forgetful!), and realized that Tom Dietz, who had always written single
        volumes (but with recurring characters) would leave me hanging in mid-tale
        until the second half came out a year later. Are any of you familiar with his
        work? Marvelous interaction between Faerie (of Irish myth) and mundane
        Georgia, which are parallel but tangential worlds. He has other series, but
        not as good IMHO. He just started his best series yet with _Bloodwinter_,
        about a society that values craftsmanship so highly that it organizes its
        hierarchies based on skill at artistic creation. My kind of world! Volume
        two, _Springwar_, is due out this fall. But Martin's series is too good to
        wait on.
        Steve