Is Gollum mentally ill?

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2007
      My wife just sent me this:

      http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/329/7480/1435?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=gollum&searchid=1103349387213_18575&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&volume=329&issue=7480&eaf

      Powered by Outblaze
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2007
        Well, I ALWAYS thought so!

        Schizoid? (NOT same as 'Schizophrenic"). Borderline
        Personality?

        Any thoughts?

        Bruce Leonard, of the Colorado contingent of the
        Mythsoc and a practicing psychiatrist, gave a
        presentation regarding Frodo as a PTSD victim,
        possibly drawing on the experiences Tolkien had with
        son Michael after his war traumas. Maybe he has
        something to contribute to this topic.

        Bonnie

        --- Larry Swain <theswain@...> wrote:

        > My wife just sent me this:

        http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/329/7480/1435?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=gollum&searchid=1103349387213_18575&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&volume=329&issue=7480&eaf

        > --
        >
        > Powered by Outblaze

      • Elena Rossi
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2007
          I found this nice article on-line today, and I though
          it might be interesting...
          http://tinyurl.com/32ottd

          Regards
          Elena

          8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
        • Linda DeMars
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2007
            Speaking from my observations as a teacher of small children, I was
            struck by the description of Gollum's childhood and youth. I would
            venture the suggestion that his behavior might fall within the whole
            spectrum of Autism. The obsession with the ring- when the children I
            have know wanted an object or to do something, they could not be
            distracted or reasoned with, another object could not be substituted,
            and, since many of these children do not really see other people as
            "people", others are considered obstacles in the path between the
            child and the desired object (example, the murder of Deagol- Smeagol
            see the ring, he wants it, Deagol refuses to give it, so Smeagol
            kills him - no regrets that we see)

            I am not sure of any links between this syndrome and his adult
            behavior since I have more experience observing autism in children. I
            have noticed some of the young adults I know seem to be less able to
            cope with details of daily living as they get older. (One young man
            was "trained" by a person hired by a rehab agency to make sandwiches
            but he was unable to translate this skill into daily living and
            consequently his mother still has to make his lunch everyday). The
            food quirks (fish must be raw, lembas is distasteful or corrosive)
            point toward some mental problems, although he could have developed
            an extremely sensitive esophagus perhaps even a precancerous
            deterioration; the extreme sensitivity to light (especially the sun)
            might indicate some problem with eyes - cataracts glaucoma ?; the
            bulging eyes and extreme thinness and scanty hair does occur in
            untreated hyperthyroidism (I think the one where the person gains
            weight and gets sluggish is hypothyroidism).

            Fascinating topic.

            Linda C. DeMars