Fw: Volunteer Call from The White Tree Fund

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22 8:58 AM
      FYI...if we can't grab you as a Steward, here's an alternative for a good
      cause.
      ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 03/22/2007 08:56 AM -----

      "Jo Dueck" <johobbit@...>
      03/22/2007 07:57 AM

      <correspondence@...>, <xoanon@...>,
      <chairman@...>, <ladycoralie@...>
      cc

      Subject
      Volunteer Call from The White Tree Fund

      Volunteers: the spirit of service

      Mae Govannen from The White Tree Fund organization; a place where people
      have come together to make a difference in the world, meet new friends,
      share their love for Tolkien, exchange new ideas, organize events, and
      have fun in the process.

      The White Tree Fund (TWTF) was inspired by a painting done by
      world-renowned artist Ted Nasmith. This painting, commissioned for the
      2004 edition of The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, was of the White Tree
      of the Kings of Gondor. In Tolkien's world of Middle-earth, this White
      Tree of the Kings represented the hope and healing of a people, and had a
      long lineage of light and renewal.

      Renewal. Healing. Enduring hope. This is the vision of The White Tree Fund
      - an affiliation of Tolkien and "Lord of the Rings" communities around the
      world. TWTF began as an idea, a hope that Tolkien communities could unite
      to provide assistance to the areas devastated by the earthquake and
      tsunamis of December 26th, 2004. A core group was formed, aid agencies
      contacted, and a website established within a two-week period of the
      initial idea. The feedback to this effort thus far establishes the
      willingness of many Tolkien communities to participate in charitable
      efforts collectively and encourages the Fund to go forward with a
      structured approach.

      We are an incorporated non-profit organization supporting charities
      engaged in the following areas through organizing fund- and
      awareness-raising drives and events within communities dedicated to
      exploring fantasy and mythology through study, literature, art, music and
      film:

      a.. To support issues of human health and medical concerns through
      crisis response or other humanitarian programs;
      b.. To support literacy initiatives and programs assisting children and
      adults; and
      c.. To support environmental initiatives relevant to deforestation
      crises.
      As we know, volunteers are people who have a passion and a sincere desire
      to make a difference in our world. Volunteers are a very important part of
      our everyday lives. Without them, there would be nobody to run the
      countless organizations with the spirit of service they embody.
      TWTF is currently looking for 3 Executive positions, Treasurer, Secretary
      and Marketing & Communications Manager (please see descriptions below). We
      are also looking for volunteers interested in promotions and advertising,
      working on our journal, Silver Leaves, and organizing events.

      The Treasurer is responsible for ensuring that the organization's
      financial obligations have been met as stipulated by federal and
      provincial legal legislation, as well as monitoring all activities of the
      Board, Executive and committees to certify the sound management of all
      financial transactions and planning. This is an executive position within
      The White Tree Fund, serving as a voting member of the Executive Committee
      and Board of Directors and participating in the day-to-day decision making
      process of the organization. This position is voluntary with no financial
      remuneration awarded. We require the incumbent to be a resident of Canada,
      living within the Greater Toronto Area. For a more detailed job
      description, please contact us at info@....

      The Secretary is responsible for ensuring that the business of the
      organization is maintained in a timely, efficient and organized fashion,
      as well as ensuring that TWTF documentation meets all necessary formal
      obligations. The secretary is also responsible for securely retaining and
      efficiently managing all official records and filing necessary
      documentation with external organizations in a timely fashion. This is an
      executive position within The White Tree Fund, serving as a voting member
      of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors and participating in the
      day-to-day decision making process of the organization. This position is
      voluntary with no financial remuneration awarded. For a more detailed job
      description, please contact us at info@....

      The Marketing/Communications Manager is responsible for expanding the
      visibility of The White Tree Fund and the awareness of its programs within
      community groups through creative, inspiring online and traditional
      marketing and promotional campaigns, as well as securing advertising for
      events and publications. He/She also ensures that all communications of
      The White Tree Fund accurately reflect the organization's mandate, its
      mission and vision, as well as increasing awareness of TWTF programs
      through dynamic public relations initiatives and providing effective means
      for interaction between TWTF and the community. This is an executive
      position within The White Tree Fund, serving as a voting member of the
      Executive Committee, reporting to the President and Board of Directors and
      participating in the day-to-day decision making process of the
      organization. This position is voluntary with no financial remuneration
      awarded. For a more detailed job description, please contact us at
      info@....