Humor and Tolkien

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2000
      >"Children laugh over Harry Potter in the way that they never did over JRR
      >Tolkien, who is reputed to have made one joke in his entire oeuvre."
      >
      >Oh surely not!! though I'm not going to stop here and count.

      You're right, Mary. I read it to my sister when she was in elementary
      school, and there are parts she (and I) found humorous. such as:

      Gandalf threatening to turn Samwise into a frog

      "Proud-Feet!"

      "Next time, throw yourself in!"

      "Except, of course, our sturdy Dwarf."

      And there's always Aragorn's satiric imitation of the herb-master in the
      houses of healing.

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and