Meeting formats

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2007
      In a message dated 3/17/2007 8:27:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      margdean@... writes:

      Romenna, during its run, stuck exclusively to Tolkien: we
      started with The Silmarillion (keep in mind that the History of
      Middle-earth series didn't start coming out until 1983), reading
      a chapter or two per meeting, then continued through The Hobbit
      and The Lord of the Rings. As I recall, we included relevant
      sections of Unfinished Tales wherever they fit into the
      chronology, but I may or may not be remembering correctly -- it's
      been 20+ years, after all! :) We met mostly in members' homes,
      though there was at least one summer meeting in a park, and
      refreshments were provided by everybody. The date and time for
      each meeting was decided at the previous one, and then I'd send
      out a mailing with date, time, place, directions, and a report of
      the previous meeting.

      We should also emphasize that you can make the format of your meetings to be
      anything you want. Some groups like Romenna focus on particular authors.
      Knossos, our group in the Washington, D.C. area, is just a book discussion
      group that does more fantasy and science fiction than most such groups. Sure,
      we do Tolkien, Lewis, or Williams occasionally, but we do lots of fantasy and
      science fiction from other authors. We do classical or medieval epics.
      (With _Beowulf_ and _The Aeneid_ this year, we're actually starting to run short
      on epics. We've done _The Odyssey_, _The Iliad_, and _The Epic of
      Gilgamesh.) We do children's books. We do mysteries. We do classic mainstream
      novels. We do short story collections. We do non-fiction.

      There are lots of ways to recruit. Ask your friends. Have your friends ask
      their friends. Put up signs in libraries or bookstores. Recruit at local
      science fiction conventions. Put up a webpage and wait for someone to Google
      on "

      Speaking of book discussion groups, it might be worthwhile to find out what
      other sorts of book discussion groups are in your area. This is a more
      common activity than you might suspect. Book discussion groups tend not to
      advertise themselves. My guess is that there are 300 or so of them in the
      Washington, D.C. area, most of which of course don't do Mythopoeic Society sorts of
      books at all, of course. Politics and Prose Bookstore (also known as that
      bookstore that constantly shows up in the author talks on Book TV on C-Span 2 on
      the weekends) has appointed themselves the local headquarters for book
      discussion groups here and they do the ordering of books for many of these groups.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 18, 2007
        In a message dated 3/18/2007 9:39:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        WendellWag@... writes:

[...]

        Something really weird happened as I wrote this message. First, it
        spontaneously sent itself before I clicked on Send. Second, I got back a bunch of
        strange mail failure notices.

        In any case, to finish what I was writing:

        Put up a website and wait for someone to Google on "Des Moines" and
        "Mythopoeic Society" or "Des Moines" and "fantasy" or "Des Moines" and "book
        discussion" or "Iowa" and "book discussion." Find other book discussion groups near
        you, even those that doing entirely different sorts of books, and co-operate
        with them in sharing names of people interested in such groups.